• Partners with Business Leaders in creating the people components of the business strategy
• Use understanding of business needs to help shape the HR Strategy and Objectives
• Support the Business on the effective development, deployment and reward of resources and talent in the business to achieve strategic and operational objectives (including business expansion)
• Bring best practice and external perspectives to strategic and operational business discussions and people management decision-making
• Accountable for the relationship with business leaders; orchestrates the delivery and implementation of core HR programs and processes through COEs and/or HR Operations
• Coach Business Leaders on people related matters
• Support the resolution of complex people and employee relations issues, escalated through HR Operations within agreed governance
• Effectively lead HRBP team as appropriate, role modeling our expectations of people managers
• As a member of the HRLT, actively contribute to enterprise wide people related strategy, programs and priorities
Strategic Workforce Planning
Create a talent roadmap which enables the organization to achieve its strategy. Work in close partnership with head of Talent Strategy to ensure overall alignment of the SWP
• Support leaders in creating the business strategy and the identification of long term organizational and people capabilities required to execute it
• Translate workforce needs into short-term hiring and development plans; work within HR and the business to ensure execution against the plans and achievement of desired outcomes
• Collaborate with other HRBPs to identify where there are similar or adjacent workforce needs across other functions and divisions where development and/or sourcing can be leveraged
• Participate in hiring process for key roles (initial role design and profile, partnership with Talent Strategy, Talent Acquisition and Total Rewards, influencing diverse candidate slates, serving on interview panel, etc)
Leadership & Management Development
Support leaders in building a strong leadership pipeline across Shire
• Influence and support the business to ensure that proactive leadership development is viewed as a core part of the business processes
• Serve as a partner to Senior Leaders on the creation of development plans for key talent and determine what development solutions may be appropriate
• Serve as a champion for new leadership development solutions; articulate relevance to business strategy and objectives
• Collaborate with leaders, other HRBPs, and TM COE to identify development opportunities for key talent across the organization
• Provide feedback to leaders to help them improve their leadership
• Provide feedback on the design and implementation of leadership/management development solutions
Enable leaders to effectively manage change.
• Anticipate impact on people and organization as a result of potential changes
• Advise leaders on leading their teams through organizational change
• Maintain an awareness of changes in client business areas internally (within organization) and externally (within industry/discipline)
Organizational Effectiveness & Culture
Getting the best performance out of the organization.
• Diagnose opportunities to improve the performance of the organization utilizing tools to measure organization effectiveness (e.g. 360 feedback, surveys, employee metrics) as well as informal awareness of pulse of the organization
• Work with the business and within HR to design and implement formal or informal initiatives to improve the performance of the organization
• Ensure actions taken in the organization are aligned to the desired culture
• Partner with leaders in creating a culture and work environment that encourages employee engagement and inspires performance excellence
• Utilize data and predictive analytics to identify organizational effectiveness opportunities and to measure the impact of efforts
• Leads where appropriate business expansions including M&A integrations
Performance & Rewards
Ensure robust practices that link performance and reward are embedded.
• Provide business perspective on the COE's design of reward / recognition programs and ensures alignment with business strategy
• Educate, influence, and advocate reward and recognition philosophy and practice within the business to ensure fairness and consistency and inspire stronger employee and organizational performance
• Work with leaders to ensure successful execution of the year-end compensation process including employee calibration
• Advise leaders in dealing with senior level employee relations issues. Partner with ER and the legal team to understand trends in employee performance issues and advise on appropriate remediation
Education & Experience Requirements
• BA/BS required. Master's or equivalent strongly preferred
• Minimum of 15 years HR experience, ideally including experience working and living outside of home country
• Experience in biopharmaceutical industry desired but not essential
• Significant experience leading teams and working in complex global matrix organizations
• Previous experience in a COE desirable
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.