Job Location: Charlotte, NC
: In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. The new company, Brighthouse Financial, will be a major U.S. life insurance and annuity company, with $240 billion of total assets and approximately 2.6 million insurance policies and annuity contracts in-force as of June 30, 2016. Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers’ lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
As a result of the separation from MetLife, Brighthouse Financial (“the Company”) has an opportunity to bring new senior executives into the organization to oversee the transition and build out the functions of the new company. We currently have an opportunity for an accomplished, nimble, and dedicated professional to join as Head of Tax Reporting and Compliance. Reporting directly to the Head of Tax and overseeing a team of 17 people, this person will be responsible for all aspects of the Company’s domestic income tax filing requirements, indirect tax filing requirements, and US GAAP and STAT tax accounting and reporting requirements. In addition, the ideal candidate will be a thought leader in the field who stays abreast of emerging trends and analyzes the impact of new or proposed tax law and regulations, tax planning, and accounting rule changes in a rapidly changing external environment. He or she will collaborate with Finance regarding tax-sensitive book accounting policies and changes, work with internal and external auditors, and coordinate with the tax controversy team for the federal and state income tax portion of external/internal audits.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company’s mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable. This role presents an opportunity to join our team in a high-impact role at a critical time in our evolution.
Tax accounting & reporting
- Manage a team of tax professionals (and some vendors) working across all Brighthouse Financial legal entities to prepare and review US GAAP and STAT tax accounting and reporting deliverables, tax filings, and all other aspects of federal and state tax compliance and reporting, including:
- Interim and annual current and deferred GAAP and STAT tax provisions, projections, financial statement disclosures and footnotes
- Preparation, timely filing, and documentation maintenance of US federal and state income and related franchise/ premium tax returns, estimates, and extensions for life and non-life entities
- All aspects of direct and indirect tax compliance and accounting, including, but not limited to, premium, retaliatory and municipal tax, sales and use tax, payroll and product withholding tax, and personal property tax (remittance and tax filings as well as all reconciliations)
- Timely filing of quarterly estimated payments and year-end extension payments, federal and state income and franchise tax filings, and Secretary of State annual reports
- Interim and annual certification of legal entity tax basis balance sheet accounts
- Income and non-income tax contingencies (ASC 740-10, formerly FIN 48 / FAS5)
- Provide expert advice to the Corporate Finance, Legal, and Business Unit management on tax reporting issues for the Company’s financial activities
Planning & provisioning
- Advise on the impacts of new or proposed tax law, tax regulations, tax planning, and accounting rule changes on US GAAP and STAT tax reporting
- Oversee the analysis of the impacts of potential federal and state income and franchise/premium tax law changes
- Research federal and state income and franchise and premium tax issues, as needed
- Manage tax reporting related risk, including compliance with SOX requirements
- Respond to inquiries from local jurisdictions and work with the company’s external auditors to ensure the accuracy of tax information in the financial statements, and the sufficiency of the related disclosures and control environment
- Coordinate with the tax controversy team for federal, state, and/or local income and indirect tax portions of external/internal audits, including communications with the IRS or other taxing authorities upon exam and response to income tax notices
Execution & process improvement
- Provide support and oversight of process improvement implementations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the tax accounting, reporting, and compliance functions
- Oversee tax professionals responsible for managing tax compliance and reporting calendars and ensure timely and accurate completion of all tax compliance and reporting deliverables
- Minimum 10-12 years of tax reporting and compliance experience in the life insurance industry or in a tax practice of a major accounting firm working with life insurance companies; CPA required
- Experience dealing with federal, state and local tax regulators
- Ability to effectively manage and develop a supporting team of tax professionals while at the same time capable of and willing to roll up sleeves alongside the team to produce results
- Technical expertise and experience in life insurance tax and tax accounting (ASC 740, SSAP 101)
- Technical expertise and experience in consolidated tax return regulations as well as Life/Non-Life group issues
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, in order to engage with executive management effectively
- Strong accounting and analytical skills
- Ability to manage issues and projects across Tax and business partners
- Ability to clearly communicate complex financial and process-related information to management
- Ability to manage multiple complex tasks towards completion at the same time
- Business-owner orientation; appreciation for the challenges and opportunities of a start-up environment
- Seeks ways to maximize cost-effectiveness both in terms of functional responsibilities as well as day-to-day activities
- Seasoned manager with track record of growing talent, developing strong teams, and elevating the function internally
- Bachelor’s Degree, ideally in in Accounting or Finance, required; Masters in Tax/Accounting highly desirable
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Models our Values – Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Reports to: Head of Tax
- Direct reports/team: 2, team of 17
- Key Stakeholders: Heads of Tax Planning, Investments Tax, Employee Benefits, Payroll & Product Tax; Corporate Strategy & Development, Finance, Treasury, HR, Head of M&A
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.