Head of UX Content Strategy, Credit Card Customer Experiences
The idea of “bringing humanity and clarity to every conversation we design” has got you intrigued.
You love finding ways to describe real human needs in plain language. You LOVE creating solutions that actually help people. And, you guide others on your team to be brave enough to design with humanity.
You’re a natural storyteller, information architect, and content designer. You’re also a genuinely nice person with humility and integrity.
And, now you’re ready to lead other bright content designers. Your leadership style values individuality and unleashing potential by being a multiplier, not a diminisher.
A typical day in the life of a Content Strategist at Capital One:
- Run a two-hour workshop with a product team, helping them find the human language around the feature they’re building.
- Brainstorm with a Content Strategy teammate on how to walk a customer through a sign-in process, or how to make error messages more human.
- Work with a design team to co-write a content workbook, including conversation structure, ideal phrases, human language, and navigation ideas.
- Lead a co-writing session with design, legal, and product,
- Answer email. (We’re all trying to spend less time on this, but let’s be real.)
- Join a Content Strategy team weekly to share wins, questions, business updates, and team goals.
- Lead a journey-mapping session to outline the customer experience for opening a bank account.
- Co-write a user-testing script for redesigning an app sign-in flow.
- Create content prototypes that will be used to validate hypotheses in testing.
- Facilitate a group conversation to help a team clarify what they are working on, or how they are working.
- Grab coffee with a product manager to hear what they’re super excited about and how you can help.
- Join a Capital One Design all-hands to see what other teams are doing.
- Help, support, and coach Content Strategy team members.
As Head of Content Strategy for Credit Card, you’ll:
- Embrace and practice the Conversation Design team values of honesty, kindness, and results
- Lead with curiosity, humility, vision, accountability, and adaptability
- Be ruthless with maintaining a radical focus for yourself and the team
- Coach and inspire your team to thrive in projects that have a profound impact on our customers and the business
- Meet regularly with Credit Card Design and Business stakeholders to understand needs and opportunities
- Hire and cultivate the greatest team of UX Content Strategists
Your days look like that because:
- Our mission at Capital One is to change banking for good. We’re all humans with unique emotions about our money, and messaging HUGELY influences how we feel about the institutions we’ve entrusted to handle that money.
- The Content Strategy team’s mission is to bring simplicity, ingenuity, and humanity — and personality, where appropriate — to our customers’ experience with their money. It’s a big responsibility, but that means it’s also a big opportunity to do something real, good, and important for millions of real people.
- The Design organization’s mission — of which Content Strategy is an integral part — is to Design for Impact. That’s leading the charge toward a new way of working at Capital One. We emphasize a design mindset, rapid iteration, and lean development, no matter what we’re working on.
You’ll need to be pretty dang good at wearing these hats:
- Customer Advocate — You’ll dig into who our customers are and what language they use, then ensure our products speak their language
- Writer — You’ll build trustworthy relationships with customers by making “simplicity and humanity” core facets of our product content
- Editor — You’ll cut or change what doesn’t help audiences find, understand, and choose us
- UX Designer — You’ll establish a cohesive conversation with users, both within and across our many digital experiences
- Researcher — You’ll test your content on real customers, iterate until it’s clear as a bell, then see it rolled out to millions of people
- Data Scientist — You’ll study analytics and use data to drive your messaging decisions and support/dispel your assumptions
You’ll love your job THE MOST if you:
- Want to be a part of changing banking for good
See words as an incredibly powerful tool for connecting with people
- Are passionate about the customer and want to use your influence to design experiences that build trust and help people
- Commit only to what is essential, and your calendar and to-do lists reflect that
- Are articulate and prepared, able to confidently substantiate your decisions to peers and senior-level executives alike
- Have a positive yet practical attitude; we could call your colleagues and they’d gush over how much they love working with you
- Work quickly without compromising quality, knowing that iteration and testing are part-and-parcel to designing exceptional user experiences
- Take initiative, aren’t afraid to fail, ask thoughtful questions, and constantly seek better ways of working and communicating
You might feel pretty bummed about this job if you:
- Want to focus on content marketing
- Prefer owning a project individually to coaching others collaboratively through a project
- Work better in structured environments than in ambiguity and uncertainty
A few last things because they’re super important:
- As part of the UX Content Strategy team, you’ll sit at the intersection of content and product design. Some roles on the team cover traditional content development and management (building web experiences, creating emails, etc.). Other roles are more solidly in product and experience design (for example, what happens when a customer doesn’t pay a bill?).
- You’ll be a champion of content-first design in every project and product you work on. Ideally, you’ll help a team nail the right conversation from the beginning, then build an experience around that. Other times you’ll meet a team right where they are, helping them find the right language for what they have now, while thinking about how to make it better next time.
- You’ll do a lot of getting-it-done without worrying about who’s “supposed” to do it. You’ll run a workshop, then clean up the conference room. You’ll jump in and moderate customer interviews at the last minute because your team needs you. You’ll be the human glue connecting teams who’ve never worked together before.
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 7 years of experience with digital content strategy
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Master’s Degree in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), or Master’s Degree in Design
- 10+ years of experience with digital content strategy
- 7+ years of experience designing for digital products and interactions
- 5+ years of experience leading content-first design
- 5+ years of experience leading a team
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.