The Head of Workforce Planning, talent and performance management develops the approach for workforce planning and, in close partnership with HR Business Partners, leads the development of a 3 year workforce plan. The work force plan articulates the make-up of the global BMS workforce (regular and contingent employees), predicted movements and the capabilities/skills that need to be developed, informed by analytics and internal/external insights. The workforce plan is then used to inform the Talent Acquisition, Talent and Growth and Development strategies for BMS.
The role is accountable for the development of the talent and performance management strategies for the enterprise globally (c24,000 employees) and for partnering with HRBPs and People Services to enable their execution. As the workforce develops this role will increasingly need to develop innovative approaches to performance management and talent development for our contingent employees
Manages a budget of around $5-8m Direct Reports
Workforce planning and analytics insights lead; Talent Strategy Lead; Accelerated Talent Development Lead; Performance Management and Behaviors Lead Key Business Partners
BMS LT and HRLT members; HR Business Partners; TWI People Services lead; Total Rewards; Finance and Business Strategy Leads; Head of Talent Acquisition Strategy and Capabilities; Head of Growth and Development; Head of People Experience and Engagement; People Strategy integrated solutions lead. Detailed Position Responsibilities
- Develops workforce planning approach for BMS
- Integrates advanced and predictive analysis, people metrics and reporting to develop strategic and operational insights for workforce planning
- Partners with BMS LT members, Finance, HRBP’s and Business Insights and Analytics to build a 3 year work force plan in support of our Business Strategy and Long Term Financial Plan
- Partners with the Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Head of Growth and Development to build the external and internal talent pipelines in support of the workforce plan
- Design, and ensure continuous improvement, of the Performance Management strategy and process using the latest external insights and best practices. Advises HRBPs, People Services and Business Leaders on its effective implementation
- Owns the behaviors for BMS that underpin the culture and integrity of BMS to ensure that our core value of helping patients prevail over serious disease is embedded in everything we do.
- Design, and ensure continuous improvement, of the talent strategy to accelerate the development of high potential talent at all levels within BMS. Advises HRBP’s, People Services and Business Leaders on effective implementation.
- Designs the global mobility strategy to support the movement and development of talent
- Designs accelerated talent programs and works closely with HRBP’s, People Services, Business Leaders and external partners to ensure an impactful and meaningful experience
- Identifies and manages close external partnerships to support the development and delivery of the workforce plan, talent and performance strategies.
- Manages a budget of around $5-8m
The ideal candidate is a respected and proven thought leader in workforce planning, talent management and performance management and has a quantifiable track record of success in delivering results within a fast-paced, complex, large global organization at the enterprise level.
He/she must possess and demonstrate a solid track record of hands-on leadership experience in as many of the areas outlined above as possible, preferably with experience working and living outside of his/her home country. Ideally, this individual will bring a blended background which includes time spent within the life sciences sector as well as other industry sectors. He/she is driven, has executive presence, solid business acumen, and the ability to quickly assess the internal and external environments to develop solutions that support the BMS business strategy, critical objectives, and cultural norms.
A strategic mindset, strong innovative capability, and enthusiasm to influence change coupled with the ability to drive and to turn concepts into action that deliver solid return on investment is highly desirable.
The incumbent is experienced at working directly with Senior Leadership Teams, exercising sophisticated relationship building and influencing skills. This role requires a player/coach, demonstrating strategic broad-minded thinking while collaborating and working hands-on with a team at a granular level. The incumbent must demonstrate agility and swift pace in developing and building a strong team and to ensure the right capabilities and resources are in place to deliver solid and sustainable outcomes aligned to the business strategy.
- 15 years experience as a human resources and talent management leader in companies known for best-in-class strategic HR and talent programs and results. Preferably, the incumbent will have previous experience building and implementing enterprise-wide approaches to workforce planning, talent and performance management within a large-scale global organization.
- Demonstrated skill in partnering with senior management, business leaders, and human resources colleagues through strong communication, collaboration, influencing skills, and business acumen.
- Strong team player who can work closely with key stakeholders at all levels in the organization and contributes to the on-going development of the larger Bristol-Myers Squibb workforce and organization.
- Conceptual/theoretical capability in designing comprehensive and valid programs, with a strong understanding of external practices in talent management, workforce planning and performance management.
- Strong leader who is able to inspire a team, set a high bar, and get results. Not fearful of demanding the best while rewarding great achievements, encouraging risk-taking, and developing/building the team with the capabilities to deliver against high standards today and in the future.
An undergraduate degree in Industrial & Organizational Psychology, Human Resources Management or relevant discipline is required; an advanced degree in one of these disciplines is strongly preferred. Knowledge, Skills and capabilities
- Financial acumen and advanced/predictive analytics to develop strategic and operational insights for workforce planning
- Understanding of the underpinning neuroscience and best practices of fueling human performance and how they can be translated into an effective performance management strategy
- Understanding of latest research and best practices to assess and develop talent.
- Understand the likely future trends for the workforce and think innovatively
- Strong matrix leadership & collaboration to work effectively with partners within BMS and externally
- Consulting skills to effectively diagnose critical issues to address
- Shows clarity of vision. Is able to assess needs, set ambitious goals and inspire others to move in a well-defined direction. Maintains a line of sight on the critical objectives in the face of change. Fluidly navigates a dynamic organization and stays on course.
- Demonstrates a strong & confident presence. Confident without being arrogant. Commands attention and respect through knowledge and competence. Garners a high level of trust. Builds relationships easily with executives and business leaders across the company. Adapts to different styles and operates smoothly in a complex, global fulture.
- Thrives under pressure. Comfortable delivering to tight deadlines and is energized by the opportunity to solve complex problems. Manages diverse stakeholders with ease, and brings a calm sense of purpose to his or her direct reports.
- Puts patients, team and company first. Operates without ego with the ultimate goal of helping patients prevail over serious diseases and unfailingly supports colleagues, peers, and team.
- Unyieldingly committed to raising the talent bar. Pushes self and leaders to develop and attract best-in-class performers, and never settles for mediocrity. Establishes performance standards and expectations that enable people to stretch to their highest potential.
- Demonstrates integrity and an impeccable value system on a daily basis. Can be counted on as a leader, a trusted advisor, a coach and role model. Demonstrates and establishes a high ethical standard across the business.
- Energizes and inspires others. Brings a positive approach to every endeavor and motivates others to go above and beyond expectations.
- Excellent judge of talent and ability to grow and develop individuals and teams. Is able to identify and attract talented individuals to BMS and invests in both individuals and the team to build a world class function.
Our shared focus to become a Diversified Specialty BioPharma company is driving us forward. Pioneering in new areas of research.