This is a facility based position, located at Palms of Pasadena Hospital in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Job Summary - Under the direction of the Regional HIM Director, the HIM "Leader" is responsible for managing, coordinating, and performing the day-to-day operations and workflow of the facility based HIM operations. Assists the Regional HIM Director with the oversight and implementation of facility related HIM Service Center (HSC) operational planning, service level agreements, budgets, workflow processes, and internal controls. The HIM Leader actively participates in the facility based unbilled management process and resolution of issues contributing to unbilled accounts. This person serves as a promoter of the HSC and is the on-site "face" of the HSC.
Supervisor - Regional HIM Director
Supervises - Facility HIM Clerk, Facility HIM Coordinator, HIM Specialist, Facility Birth Certificate Clerk(s) and Facility Tumor Registrar(s) as applicable.
Operational Duties (include but are not limited to):
• Responsible for managing facility based HIM operations and staff including, but not limited to, record pick up and reconciliation, release of information request processing, hardcopy retrieval of medical records, tumor and/or trauma registry, and processing of birth certificate/paternity papers as applicable. Routinely assists in the performance of facility based HIM operations including, but not limited to, ad hoc record pick up and reconciliation, release of information request processing, and hardcopy retrieval of medical records as needed.
• Performs facility unbilled activities including physician query follow up, physician incomplete record follow up, collaboration with facility department leaders in monitoring and working unbilled reports, working the applicable HPF queues, working the applicable unbilled management reports and queues, (e.g., DET/eRequest, Bill 49) and management of HIM operations unbilled processes.
• Works all facility HIM responsible HPF workflow queues (includes, but is not limited to, the Facility HIM Department Queue, all Coding Pend for Queues, Review Queues, Unknown Document Queue, Cancelled Accounts Queue and all Wait for Queues) according to established workflow guidelines and schedules.
• Works collaboratively with Medical Staff and Facility Leadership to comply with standards and guidelines enforced through the Medical Staff Bylaws/Rules and Regulations (e.g., suspension of privileges) and is responsible for facilitation and execution of physician notification processes regarding medical record documentation deficiency, delinquency, and physician suspension.
• Provides HPF record completion and medical record viewing training and education to medical staff members.
• Provides medical record viewing training and education to other clinical and ancillary personnel.
• Primary facility contact for external agencies requiring on-site viewing of medical records.
• Proactively manages, including corresponding communications and escalation paths, significant issues in HIM operations (e.g., backlogs, turnover), status of projects, barriers and successes.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationship with ancillary departments and unit managers to ensure optimal record management including thinned record processes, quick record prep and loose reports, record pick up and discharge record reconciliation.
• In conjunction with, and under the leadership of, the Regional HIM Director, serves as a liaison between the HSC and Facility Leadership, including the Medical Staff Leadership, building and maintaining strategic working relationships with the facility and department leadership (working through specific issues, committee meetings, monthly updates, etc.)
• Active participant, at times with the assistance of the Regional HIM Director, in preparing for or assisting with external agency (e.g., The Joint Commission, Board of Health) reviews of the facility.
• May serve as the Facility Privacy Official, Records Management Coordinator, RAC Coordinator, and/or perform state reporting duties.
• May serve, or serve in conjunction with the Regional HIM Director, on facility committees.
• May serve, or serve in conjunction with the Regional HIM Director, as the Medical Record Custodian including making court appearances and certification of medical records via HCA view as applicable.
• Coaches and helps develop team members; disciplines and counsels staff as necessary.
• Performs productivity and quality monitoring and provides timely and consistent feedback to facility-based HSC employees.
• Responsible for ensuring facility-based HSC staff schedules adequately support operational requirements established by the HSC Leadership team and executed Service Level Agreements (SLA).
• Monitors facility HIM operations performance as outlined in HSC policy and SLA.
• Provides assistance to the HSC Document Imaging Manager as it relates to facility based HSC document imaging staff.
• Ensures all forms to be scanned into HPF are barcoded properly.
• Assists the Regional HIM Director in the development of strategy, specific goals, objectives, budgets, and performance standards relative to the facility HIM operations.
• Assists in identifying and implementing process improvements to lower costs and improve service to facility and SSC customers.
• Coordinates training and education of facility based HSC staff.
• Responsible for implementation of standardized policies and procedures, tools, resources, and educational aterials.
• Annually reviews and updates the facility Legal Medical Record Inventory.
• Practices and adheres to the Company's "Code of Conduct" philosophy and' "Mission and Value Statement."
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Technical Skills - thorough knowledge of federal and state release of medical information regulations and medical record keeping requirements, knowledge in the areas of Medicare Conditions of Participation, compliance, government and state rules and regulations, and The Joint Commission
• Initiative - independently takes prompt proactive steps towards problem resolution Managing conflict - dealing effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people
• Energy - consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operates with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time
• Organization - proactively prioritizes initiatives, effectively manages resources and keen ability to multi-task
• Communication - communicates clearly, proactively and concisely with all key stakeholders
• Customer Orientation - establishes and maintains long.term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
• Policies & Procedures - articulates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
• PC Skills - demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required
• Project Management - assesses work activities, upholds and meets deadlines, and allocates resources appropriately
• Coach, Mentor and Educate - provides timely guidance and feedback to help strengthen the knowledge/skill set of others to accomplish a task or solve a problem
• Work Independently - is self-supporting; not needing to rely on others to complete a job
• Leadership - leads individuals and groups toward identified outcomes, setting high performance standards and delivering quality services
• Building Trust - interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
• Adaptability - maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; able to adapt to change in environment and/or circumstances with a positive outlook; and adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures
• Undergraduate degree required, strongly prefer a Health Information Management degree
• A minimum of one year of HIM department experience is required, three or more years is strongly preferred
• A minimum of one year healthcare management experience is required
• RHIA or RHIT
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom