Essential Leadership Behaviors Strategy and Execution
- The Clinical Team Leader will set the clinical development strategy for the Hematology and External Clinical Collaborations assets or indications.
- The Clinical Team Leader will directly supervise the work of Program Leaders who will in turn supervise individual Clinical Trial Leads.
- This role will include above tumor strategy work (i.e. Broad I-O development teams beyond the scope of indication FDT leads, etc.)
- The role may also include support of general duties of the function, including the Protocol Review Committee and support of Business Development activities.
- The role will report directly to the Head of Clinical Development.
Drug Development Experience
- Create and communicate a vision for designing, conducting and executing innovative clinical development plans of the BMS hematology/oncology pipeline assets.
- This leader will supervise the development, medical monitoring, interpretation and analysis of and clinical trials and protocols and will supervise the clinical components of all regulatory filings.
- Will contribute to overall hematology and oncology tumor strategy.
- Provide strategic insights into the clinical development plans.
- Lead search and evaluation activities on external clinical collaboration and business development due diligence efforts, and advice to our strategic transactions group.
- Will build a franchise reputation that attracts innovators to bring their ideas to BMS.
Leadership and Matrix Management
- Will create a clinical research strategy to develop programs beyond commercialization and launch and into lifecycle management.
Stakeholder Engagement and Communication
- Lead and develop a group of clinical research professionals (team of 12-14 physicians both direct and indirect) whose therapeutic area focus is in hematology and oncology and will ensure scientific and technical excellence of clinical development programs and deliverables.
- This individual will recruit, develop and retain strong talent.
- Will establish an effective and ethical culture that encourages teamwork, promotes cooperation and provides a supportive culture.
- Will be responsible for developing a culture that values diversity of thought, supports coaching, fosters accountability and integrity, and supports process excellence and continuous improvement.
- Will work closely with colleagues in BMS Research, Development, Regulatory, Medical, Commercial and other key functional areas on a global basis; additionally should have an external focus and build relationships with thought leaders, physicians, and patient advocacy groups outside of BMS.
- Partner and interact with colleagues from Early Development who design and implement first in human through proof of concept trials and will to assure a seamless transition into late stage development (Phase II-III trials.)
Qualifications: DESIRED BACKGROUND, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Subject matter expertise in hematological malignancies
- Proven track record in managing external collaborations across the spectrum of partners (from start-up biotech to big pharma)
- Proven differentiated ability to support and manage across the totality of the spectrum including development of NRDG with RDG
- Proven ability to execute the R&D People Strategy, and lead and develop a matrix team.
- The ideal candidate will be a physician leader, preferably board certified in oncology, hematology or Immuno-Oncology (I-O); with greater than 10 years of extensive clinical trial and drug development experience, in addition to a strong scientific background.
- The successful candidate will understand early-stage drug development issues, extensive experience designing and conducting Phase II and Phase III clinical trials, and should have demonstrable success filing regulatory dossiers and prosecuting them through approval.
- Management experience will be important since this individual will manage a group of professionals including MDs or PhDs or PharmDs with clinical research experience.
- The candidate also must be a highly effective leader capable of working with Commercial, Medical, and all research functions of the company from Research through Regulatory.
- The candidate must be comfortable with cross-functional drug and product development teams and managing in a matrix environment.
- Global experiences is a plus since this position has responsibility for strategy and clinical research in oncology in multiple geographies.
- Experience interacting with business development and licensing, particularly helping to evaluate the technical and franchise aspects for potential in-licensing opportunities that shape the oncology clinical development strategy.
- In addition, the candidate must be skilled at interacting externally, and at speaking engagements.
- Must be skilled at attracting, developing, and retaining skilled professionals.
A little about us:
Our shared focus to become a Diversified Specialty BioPharma company is driving us forward. Pioneering in new areas of research.