Las Palmas Medical Center is a Level III Trauma, 186-private patient room, full service acute care hospital. Las Palmas Medical Center offers comprehensive healthcare and provides leading-edge technologies. Our Lifecare Center offers inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs, as well as our fully equipped fitness and wellness center in one convenient location. We also house the region's only Kidney Transplant Center.
We are located on the Westside of El Paso, Texas close to the University of Texas El Paso campus. We provide exceptional patient care services to the El Paso and Fort Bliss communities, as well as Southern New Mexico and West Texas Regions.
Responsible for assisting with the prompt preparation of microscopic sections and cytologic material for subsequent examination by a pathologist. Maintenance of necessary files and records, assures the identity of specimens and related materials form receiving to final storage. The Histotechnician performs general clerical duties and technical duties to include processing, embedding, staining and archival of slides.
Clinical Laboratory services performed on patients from Neonate to Geriatric ages.
1. Prepares and maintains all reagents and equipment.
2. Prepares tissue and specimen for processing.
3. Maintains procedures and records to meet all regulatory standards.
4. Embeds, stains, cuts blocks, coverslips slides
5. Other duties as assigned.
1. Individual Leadership: Demonstrates confidence in own skills, knowledge and ability and opportunities for personal growth and ability to accept and adapt change.
2. Customer Service: Demonstrates customer service skills with both internal and external customers.
3. Transcultural Sensitivity: Treats patients/customers as individuals with unique values, beliefs, and practices.
4. Risk Management/Patient/Customer Safety: Demonstrates patient/customer safety according to policies and procedures.
5. Educator: Identifies, implements, and/or evaluates opportunities for patient/family education.
6. Infection Control: Demonstrates infection control practices congruent with policies and procedures.
7. Performance Improvement: Performs, participates, implements and evaluates performance improvement activities at the department level.
8. Financial Accountability: Identifies opportunities for waste reduction and department efficiency.
9. Information Management: Demonstrates adherence to information management polices and procedures, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
10. Communication: Works as a team member through interaction, assistance and demonstration of appropriate communication skills and reporting/activation of the chain of command appropriately.
11. Practices Professionalism: Performs, participates, implements and evaluates personal performance.
12. Ethics/Compliance: Performs all duties ethically, complying with all policies and procedures, federal, state, and local laws.
13. Environment of care: Demonstrates accountability in role and responsibilities of the 7 Environment of Care plans.
14. Job Specific: Histotechnician
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical demands require performing all essential functions of this position as assigned. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position may require the use of personal protective equipment during various tasks/activities including but not limited to, back support belts, gloves, masks and safety glasses.
No licensure required.
High School diploma or GED required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Preferred HT/ASCP or equivalent documented training and experience which is accepted by laboratory certification agencies (Medicare, JCAHO, CAP, etc). One year of experience and training as a histotechnologist preferred.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom