About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The PIH I/I Business Unit seeks a Sr. Director, US Medical Affairs for the tofacitinib Rheumatology/PsA team. Reporting to the US Team Lead, the Sr. Director is an integral member of the US Brand Team. The Sr. Director combines medical expertise and understanding of the patients and physicians point of view with that of the TA Disease Area and Brand. He/she is part of a cross-functional environment where colleagues always understand and exhibit customer-focused medical professionalism with honor and integrity. The medical director reports to the team leader for the Therapeutic Area.
The Senior Director will oversee planning and timely, high quality execution of medical tactics to support the lifecycle plans. Understand and effectively communicate current scientific knowledge, including medical needs, to different stakeholders, including patients, within disease area, customizing the communication for the audience leading to effective communication. Establish how the medicine's profile fits into customer needs in the US and the commercial strategy and compares to competitive medicines, effectively communicating same to various stakeholders, including patients. Lead working groups in a professional, inclusive manner encouraging open discussion as related to assigned activities and specific roles, while demonstrating respect for people.
The Senior Director, Rheumatology will develop new and nurture existing long-term relationships with a wide variety of key healthcare stakeholders and customers to include Medical Groups and key opinion leaders in order to demonstrate clinical and economic value of the company assets in the treatment of rheumatological diseases. These activities are implemented to help inform HCPs and formulary decision-makers through medical presentations, pharmacoeconomic analyses, and outcomes evaluations along with MOS and FMD colleagues. Additional customer collaborations are built with the goal of aligning corporate medical priorities with the specific needs of the customer to advance the quality of patient care in areas of mutual interest, to identify provider and/or patient knowledge gaps, and areas for quality improvement interventions. They will develop, in conjunction with Rheumatology team leader and members of Rheumatology team, an advanced perspective of the evolving clinical and healthcare landscape of Rheumatology.
The Senior Director will utilize his/her understanding of clinical and patient-directed rheumatology issues to help assist the company and GMA on most strategic approach to launch of tofacitinib in psoriatic arthritis. The Senior Director will also provide the company brand teams with customer and clinical insights to assist in informing the company strategies on critical rheumatology health issues and diseases with unmet medical need and facilitate the development of customer-focused tools and medical communications to support patient access to quality medicines.
• Take key role in organization of external meetings (examples but not limited to: advisory boards, congress and symposium) as appropriate enhancing the leadership skills and behaviors, influence in decision making, identifying strengths and areas to focus with exploring continued opportunities to excel in their role.
1. Strategic input into presentations of the company rheumatology data and implementation of strategy into RC and MRC approved materials
2. Shared oversight for content approval for promotional materials
3. Coach and provide medicine(s) or/and therapeutic area expertise to other medical and non-medical cross-functional colleagues including training.
4. Cross functional efforts with constituents from Commercial, MOS, FMD, GH&V, RWD
5. Participate in the medical/scientific assessment of potential business development activities and pre-proof of concept compounds within the company Research as requested
6. Manage vendors and budget
7. Ability to plan and lead successful advisory boards, congress-related symposia
8. Ability to contribute to scientific, long-term life cycle planning and orphan indications
9. Proactively bring patients' & physicians' voice to brand efforts to provide medicines meeting their needs, on cross-functional teams, while considering the needs of customers, including payers.
10. Understand the product/medicine and the formulation of the concept/strategy and how it relates to the customers' needs
11. Serve as a reliable, trusted resource of accurate, current medical and scientific knowledge (e.g.: disease states, product label, statistics interpretation, etc.), including competitive medicines, for internal and external stakeholders and customers
12. Focus on patient and physician concerns, as it applies to the data and disease area. Commits to excellence by continually learning and expanding their expertise
13. Conduct ongoing assessment of the benefit-risk of the medicine(s), taking into account new data, as it becomes available
14. Objectively interpret technical and commercial information to deliver value added education to assigned teams. Serve as a translator between technical and commercial functions, driving the transfer and appropriate application of both commercial and clinical knowledge, ideas, and needs
15. Collaborate with Global Medical Affairs, and as appropriate, Commercial Development, Clinical Development, research, and other cross-functional teams in driving US strategic direction for Brand
16. Contribute to the planning and timely, high quality execution of medical tactics across indications to support the US lifecycle plan for Brand
17. Understand and effectively communicate current scientific knowledge, including medical needs, to different stakeholders, including patients, within disease area, customizing the communication for the audience leading to effective communication
18. Establish how the medicine's profile fits into customer needs and the commercial strategy and compares to competitive medicines, effectively communicating same to various stakeholders, including patients.
19. Lead working groups in a professional, inclusive manner encouraging open discussion as related to assigned activities and specific roles, while demonstrating respect for people.
20. Proactively collaborate in the development and review of US promotional materials including participation in review committee to ensure medical and scientific information are included in a medically appropriate context
21. Partner with external medical and scientific leaders in collaboration with field based medical colleagues
22. Team direct leadership and influence skills, Matrix leadership skills, excellent interpersonal skills, influence without authority ability
23. Responsible for leading and coaching team members.
24. Develops and maintains a high functioning and performance culture for team.
• MD with 15 years of experience in clinical rheumatology and/or the pharmaceutical industry
• Experience in specific therapeutic area, especially clinical / patient care experience in spondyloarthropathies, preferred
• Knowledge of pharmaceutical space in rheumatology, particularly spondyloarthropathies
• Experience in Medical Affairs preferred but not required
• Administrative/leadership experience
• Experience and track record of budget management
• Relationship builder within and without the company
• Must believe that no job within the group is a small job
• Team oriented for success
• Regulatory/safety/clinical trial experience a plus
• Fluency in written and spoken English required; excellent communication/presentation skills
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Travel ~25% of time
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.