: 4B Hiring Manager:
James D Rhollans HR Rep:
Patricia Loreen Warner Location:
Starr Plant Job Title & Department:
Starr, SC Plant Human Resources Leader, CompositesReports to:
Human Resources Director Glass Reinforcement Segment- Americas, Dotted Line Starr Plant LeaderSupervises:
3 direct reports
The Composites Solutions Business (CSB) of Owens Corning is a manufacturer of glass reinforcements and non-woven building materials used to create a diverse platform of consumer and builder products, such as tile flooring, hand drill housings, automotive mufflers and heavy truck exterior panels. Servicing over 35 customers, Starr has been an integral part of the local community since 1951. The successful candidate will be a leader in a growing talent, maximizing productivity and engaging the most important asset at our site...our people!
A key member of the OC HR talent pipeline, the successful candidate will demonstrate solid plant manufacturing experience along with the capacity to operate with a regional focus. The Starr HR Leader position is intended to prepare the incumbent for promotional or expanded HR leadership roles in the Company.
The Starr HR Leader has overall accountability for leading all areas of HR at the Starr, SC manufacturing facility. The successful candidate will act as a member of the Site Leadership team and a business partner to the Starr Plant Leader. The Starr Plant is currently in the early stages of Total Productive Maintenance transformation and the HR Leader is responsible for leading the development of the Human Capital Strategy to support TPM implementation. Talent assessment, change acceleration, labor relations & engagement with all levels of the workforce while acting as a positive connected leader are all skills required of the position.
Additionally, the HR Leader collaborates closely with local Union leadership & other Salary functional leaders across the OC CSB - GRS business. This position helps to evaluate and execute human capital strategies, standards and practices to achieve best-in-class performance in Strategy, Safety, Growth, Talent, Quality and TPM (see Job Requirements below)
The HR Leader will lead team members to support their many opportunities to broaden desired skills. Leadership Team members are also expected to accept responsibility and be accountable for contributing to the successful operation of the plant and people. We expect pride in workmanship and team involvement in ensuring a safe environment, eliminating waste, and working together to solve problems, improve operations, and make decisions.
LEADS THE PLANT THROUGH THE PILLARS OF TPM:
- SHE (Safety, Health and Environment)
- Provides a safe and secure work environment for all employees, contractors and visitors in conjunction with the OC Safety vision
- Ensures a clear and effective measurement system is followed and used to drive results; rewards and celebrates safe behavior and achievements; ensures accountability
- Leads proactive safe behavior and participation of operators in site Safety programs: Hazard ID, Behavioral Based Safety Observations, Safety yellow tag process and risk identification
- Leads necessary Safety training associated with OSHA, DHEC, OC and other governmental agencies and/or regulations
- T/D (Training & Development) & OM (Office Management)
- Monitors area activities & leaders as appropriate to ensure compliance with all Starr policies and local Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Ensures alignment with functional leadership (e.g., finance, safety, operations) on training, performance management and talent development
- Facilitates and coordinates area and individual training geared at committee or team functional alignment. Ensures operator certification and credentials for job tasks in the area. Performs gap analysis and training needs analysis as needed
- Influences & supports area skills matrix development including baseline credentials and current operator capability in area
- Acts as the business partner and coach to the plant leader to ensure optimal organizational design to deliver operational strategy
- Act as a coach for area leaders and team based functions within the Operation. Devises and implements continuous learning program for area leaders.
- Performs administrative functions for area personnel including: Kronos (payroll) auditing, Labor analytics, Employee Central (HRIS) entry, Variable Incentive Pay metric generation, maintains employee records and facilitates employee questions, concerns and/or dispute resolution
- FI/QM (Focused Improvement & Quality Maintenance)
- Owns business partner relationship with Plant Leader, site Leadership team, and local Union Leadership
- Owns and drives Starr site communication strategy & execution
- Aligns HR key process (labor utilization) indicators to critical operational KPIs
- Champion of employee engagement including annual engagement system. Leads annual site survey, data collection, communication, and resulting actions
- Drive and consult with Finance and Operations Human Capital Strategy, Primary staffing levels to match Operational strategy and need
- Prepares data collection and executes successful negotiations with Local Union - GMP #15. Subject Matter expert for Collective Bargaining Agreement including dispute resolution & grievance/arbitration process
- Leads Reward and Recognition and Employee Wellness for Starr
- AM/PM (Autonomous Maintenance/Planned Maintenance)
- Support AM/PM activities through necessary TPM Training and Development pillar commitments
- Actively train site in TPM overview and individual pillar modules
- Ensures all site personnel are trained in TPM tools (AM, PM, FI) such as A3, Ishikawa, CILT provisional checks, PM criticality matrix
- EM (Early Management)
- Leverage partnership with other functional leaders to maximize performance of the site, lead change, and grow primary talent
- Utilize data analytics around retention, retirements, and other regrettable leaves to predict staffing needs within Primary and Salary workforces
- Influence other functional segments to a proactive culture and work environment with regards to Safety, Quality employee engagement, problem solving and production
- Share best practices, challenge thinking and provide candid and respectful feedback to Operators, peers and leaders
- Partner with other OC Composites sites regionally (Jackson TN, Amarillo NC, Guelph, ON etc...) to share best practices and elevate the performance of the business as a whole
JOB REQUIREMENTSMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree, Human Resource Management, Business, Psychology/Sociology or related field.
- Masters degree preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Minimum 5-10 years HR generalist experience in a large manufacturing environment
- Experience leading direct teams
- PHR/SPHR preferred
- Previous experience in working in a Union environment, labor negotiations experience preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Kronos, SAP necessary
- Strategy: Ability to create, implement and communicate tactics for execution, enabling strategy attainment
- Safety: Engages and cares for others, promoting safety as a condition of employment
- Growth: Encompasses skills necessary of growth capability: ideation, evaluation, & action
- Talent Attraction & Development: Relentless talent assessment skills, demonstrable recruitment, coaching & employee engagement skills, idea generation & collaboration ability with various organization levels in hierarchy. Strong ability to coach & train but also hold team members accountable to standard and performance manage deviations as required.
- Self Development: Desire to continuously learn, ability to tie area tasks to site strategy and aspiration to follow career progression through HR Generalist of Specialist career path.
- TPM: Awareness of TPM system. Awareness of TPM tools: A3, Ishikawa, PM Analysis, Infinity Loop, 5W + 2H, etc...
- OC Values: Self-awareness and connection to: Innovation, Sharing, Fun, Respect, Candor, Accountability
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Founded in 1938, Owens Corning is a market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology