This position is responsible for managing plant safety programs to ensure a safe working environment and minimize the risk for accidents. The safety manager implements safety programs to provide the road map to zero injuries and world class performance, plans and/or delivers programs to train managers and employees in work site safety practices, and promotes plant safety by working with all departments to analyze current situation and recommend safety improvements. The safety manager also analyzes accident data to identify trends and accident types that can be prevented, works with contractors on equipment installations and modifications and represents the site at external safety events, and audits.
The safety manager must maintain OSHA required records and reports, coordinate compliance driven safety such as annual audiograms, industrial hygiene surveys, respirator fit testing, CPR/First Aid, etc., handles and defends any OSHA complaints, audits etc., and manages Worker's Compensation, communicates AON, and VPP updates.Position Responsibilities:
- Implement, execute, and ensure compliance with Frito Lay Company's Health, Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
- Lead execution of the site's annual HSE Plan, including development of expense and capital budgets needed to support these efforts.
- Build capability of site resources to support implementation of HSE programming.
- Manage site-wide system, Program Element (PE) process, to identify and evaluate hazards (risks), and implement effective controls (corrective solutions).
- Oversight of the land applications systems.
- Drive environment programs related to Air and Waste Water scenarios.
- Lead incident investigation process, including root cause analysis and identification of corrective action plans.
- Interface with regulatory bodies (OSHA, EPA, State/Local Regulators) Facilitate the completion of a site-wide annual HSE training plan.
- Participate in formal HSE reviews of existing equipment modifications, new equipment purchases, and changes in site processes.
- Ensure that required regulatory permits are acquired, that reports are submitted to regulatory agencies, and any site permit conditions (e.g. sampling, recordkeeping) are met.
- Achieve annual targets for incident frequency, severity and related cost reductions.
Education and Certifications:
- Influence a philosophy of strategic safety training and ensure the Worker's Compensation Claim Management program is administered in an effective and compliant manner.
- Provide business consultation to plant leadership team regarding the social system of the plant operations.
- Cultivate employee commitment to a high performance culture.
- Actively participate in other Plant Safety Audits and at corporate safety conferences.
- Degree in Occupational HSE discipline, Science or Engineering preferred
- Professional HSE certification or the desire to attain certification (CIH, CSP, CHMM, and / or PE)
Skills & Capabilities:
- 5+ years of Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE, EHS) experience in a manufacturing environment required
- Good understanding of state water regulations
- Functional HSE Knowledge in regulatory requirements, HSE technical aspects (safety, industrial hygiene, environmental), risk management, behavior-based safety, training, auditing / program review, regulatory agency enforcement, HSE vendor / consultant management, business knowledge required
- Proven track record in driving cultural change in HSE
- Experience in a food manufacturing environment preferred
- Experience managing waste water treatment programs
- Strong communication skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and influence management skills
- Incumbent must be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks without losing momentum while also completing all daily tasks efficiently and effectively
- Must be willing and able to travel 5-10% of the time
Not Eligible for Relocation
A little about us:
Our nation’s veterans bring unbeatable life experience, job skills and leadership to PepsiCo. Together We Win.