Senior Instructor, Building Controls Location: Can be anywhere in the US near a major airport
Is This For You?
Are you looking for that next step in your HVAC career? Are you someone with building controls expertise that would like to take that knowledge to mold and coach other facilities technicians? Are you able to translate that knowledge for audiences at all levels? Are you looking for an opportunity to travel and see new places? Are you detail oriented and passionate about helping others in the field? Are you fantastic at forming relationships and communicating with at all levels of the organization? Are you excited by the prospect of being a collaborative and dependable teammate that helps design and deliver world class learning solutions? Are you adept at project management? If that's the case, Johnson Controls Inc (JCI) has an amazing opportunity for you!
Your challenge, if you wish to accept it, will be to act as a Senior Instructor for Building Controls in the fast paced Building Efficiency product portfolio. You will be involved in some design and heavily involved in teaching courses to both employees and customers. You will do this by becoming a subject expert for our flagship controls product Metasys, teaching technical curriculum with state of the art technology, partnering with instructional designers and learning professionals to define the best approaches, bringing problem-solving and expertise to every class you have, and being open to learning new skills as you grow in this job. Does this sound like you? If so, keep reading! What Impact Would You Have?
Everyone wants to feel like they're having an impact? In this position, you absolutely will. You will have the opportunity to:
How Would You Accomplish This?
- Impact people from around the world as a part of a global team creating stimulating ways to help others improve their performance at work.
- Investigate new opportunities and participate in the development of effective training that is impactful and inventive.
- Align your ingenuity and innovative ideas to reach the strategic plans of the business.
- Continue to learn on a day to day basis about how our equipment and strategies work to conserve energy and protect our environment.
- Delivers assigned learning sessions, which may include live classroom sessions, web-based learning sessions (synchronous or asynchronous), and on-the-job training. Flexes instruction and facilitation style and approach to fit the needs of the audience, the content, and the technology.
- Facilitates learning of materials, processes, systems that have advanced level content and/or facilitate learning in multiple areas of expertise.
- Develops subject matter expertise in new technology, products, or processes and serves as a subject matter expert in the development of learning materials for these new areas using the Learning & Development Process (LDP).
- Arranges for an appropriate learning environment for the presentation of material, which may include room arrangement, audiovisual equipment, technical equipment, web access, handouts, etc.
- Measures results of technical training using appropriate methods for determining participant reaction, amount of learning, and ability to demonstrate new skills in the classroom setting.
- Reports results of measurements and evaluations to appropriate Program Leaders, Learning and Development Managers. Develops and presents recommendations for continuous improvements to technical training.
- May provide on-the-job coaching on selected projects.
- Evaluates the on-the-job effectiveness of former class participants as appropriate.
- Provides constructive feedback to learners on their understanding of new materials and their performance in the classroom.
- Turn in and maintains records, prepares reports and correspondence as required.
- Continuously updates and improves delivery and coaching skills including the use of new technologies for sharing knowledge and building skills.
- Assist Region and Branch personnel with training needs and questions about Technical Education.
- Assist external customers with their training needs and questions including documentation for remote courses.
- Provides coaching and guidance to less experienced learning facilitators on how to improve their learning facilitation and coaching techniques for greater effectiveness.
- Works with the design and development team to create learning solutions, on time and on budget.
- Maintain and upgrade lab equipment and computers used in training.
#External What Are We Looking For?
- Technical - Hands down, we need someone who can understand our products. Five plus years of experience with Metasys, would be ideal, along with experience in performing system checks, monitoring operations, and troubleshooting BMS systems.
- Experienced- Someone with five or more years' experience with a company like Johnson Controls would be very desirable.
- Articulate - Your writing, communication and facilitation skills must be strong in order to clearly articulate and transfer the content.
- Educated - Holds a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Business, Education or something that would support the mission of this position.
- Road Warrior - Likes to travel.
- Detailed - Realizes the importance of details in leading to impactful outcomes.
- Collaborative - Collaborates with IDs, learning professionals, product managers, program managers, stakeholders and more people in the business than we can count.
- Professional - Has personal ethics, does quality work and has a positive attitude.
If you've read this entire job ad and are excited, we want you to go through the apply process ASAP. Feel free to include the reasons why you'd be a great fit for this position, and what you think you would add to our talented team.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.