Senior Instructor / Learning Facilitator - HVAC
Location: Open to base location anywhere in the US near a major airport
Do you have strong technical knowledge of commercial HVAC systems and building controls along with a passion for sharing your knowledge to customers or co-workers? Then this could be a dream career move for you! This role is perfect for a senior, lead or management HVAC service professional with product training experience.
Johnson Controls is a premiere global provider of HVAC and other environmental and safety systems. We keep our employees for a long time, but unfortunately some of our best instructors are ready to retire and this is why we need you.
Under general direction, delivers basic and advanced learning interventions in a specified content area. Serves as learning coach in some settings. Serves as a subject matter expert on learning development design and development projects. May coach less experienced learning facilitators.
• Delivers assigned learning sessions, which may include live classroom sessions, web-based learning sessions (synchronous or asynchronous), and on-the-job training. Flexes instruction and facilitation style and approach to fit the needs of the audience, the content, and the technology.
• Facilitates learning of materials, processes, systems that have advanced level content and/or facilitate learning in multiple areas of expertise.
• Develops subject matter expertise in new technology, products, or processes and serves as a subject matter expert in the development of learning materials for these new areas using the Learning & Development Process (LDP).
• Arranges for an appropriate learning environment for the presentation of material, which may include room arrangement, audiovisual equipment, technical equipment, web access, handouts, etc.
• Move training equipment from storage location at remote training sites to classroom and set up.
• Measures results of technical training using appropriate methods for determining participant reaction, amount of learning, and ability to demonstrate new skills in the classroom setting.
• Reports results of measurements and evaluations to appropriate Program Leaders, Learning and Development Managers. Develops and presents recommendations for continuous improvements to technical training.
• May provide on-the-job coaching on selected projects.
• Evaluates the on-the-job effectiveness of former class participants as appropriate.
• Provides constructive feedback to learners on their understanding of new materials and their performance in the classroom.
• Turn in and maintains records, prepares reports and correspondence as required, including timely expense reports.
• Continuously updates and improves delivery and coaching skills including the use of new technologies for sharing knowledge and building skills.
• Assist Region and Branch personnel with training needs and questions about Technical Education.
• Assist external customers with their training needs and questions including documentation for remote courses.
• Provides coaching and guidance to less experienced learning facilitators on how to improve their learning facilitation and coaching techniques for greater effectiveness.
• When working with the Development team delivers programs on time and on budget.
• Maintain and upgrade lab equipment and computers used in training.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in technical or educational field preferred (Engineering, HVAC, electronics, or computer science preferred). Technical aptitude is a must, experience may be considered in lieu of education
• Ideal candidate would have 3+ years as a Controls Technician, with experience in the installation and programming of HVAC building automation systems and related controls.
• Demonstrated presentation skills for technical audiences.
• Ability to explain complex technical concepts to widely varied audiences.
• Strong communication and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated adult education / training / facilitation experience.
• Ability to work both autonomously as well as be an effective project team member.
• Must be detail oriented and available and appropriately responsive to day-to-day communications, i.e., email, instant messaging, voice messages, etc.
• Be able to travel by air to other regions with JCI to deliver training.
• Be able to lift and move lab equipment around in classroom (lift at least 30 pounds).
Keywords: HVAC, service technician, trainer, maintenance, specialist, installer, supervisor, manager, instructor
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.