The Test Technician will work on the Engineering Lab team that is part of the Unitary Products Group (UPG) for Johnson Controls. In this division we design, test, manufacture and assemble heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment for the light commercial and residential markets. Johnson Controls has two plants for UPG with approximately 1000 employees each; one in Norman, OK and the other in Wichita, KS. This position will be located in our Norman, OK plant and will report to the Engineering Lab Manager.
As a Test Technician, you will work in a climate controlled HVAC laboratory environment performing testing assignments and making unit modifications as needed. Unlike a typical service technician position, you will not have to endure crawl spaces or attics.
Responsibilities / Duties
• Prepare and install test units in the test facility in order to simulate field installation conditions. This includes but is not limited to evacuation and charging, duct connection, electrical connection, piping connections, etc.
• Set up test facilities and connect data acquisition instruments according to general instructions and per test standard requirements
• Analyze test data and make modifications and adaptations to the test unit based upon analysis of the data
• Utilize computer software programs as required to run the test facility, conduct testing, collect and analyze test data
• Follow established safety procedures and maintain a clean work area
• Other duties as required
• High school diploma or equivalent combined with vocational technical training in HVAC is preferred
• A minimum of two years related work/education experience.
• Thorough understanding of the refrigeration cycle, including function, definition and /or purpose of the following: Compressor, condenser, metering device, evaporator, superheat, sub cooling, BTU, etc.
• Thorough understanding of the heating functions, including electric resistance or fossil fuel, desired. Knowledge of combustion fundamentals is a plus.
• Demonstrated working knowledge and skills in such areas as reading wiring diagrams, modifying unit wiring and controls, instrumentation, electromechanical troubleshooting, and modification of prototypes
• Ability to braze using Oxy/Acetylene torch
• Ability to analyze data and make decisions based on analysis
• Ability to lift equipment, compressors units, motors, sheet metal parts etc
• High level of self-motivation and integrity
• Effective and professional communication and organizational skills are required
• Ability to troubleshoot, collaborate and brainstorm with other team members
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Outlook or other email programs
• Strong interpersonal skills and decision making ability.
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.