New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2014 operating earnings of $2.021 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2014, with affiliates, totaled $552.82 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for 170 years.
- The I&AGT Strategy and Planning Lead will work both strategically and tactically with the Head of I&AGT Strategy and Planning, the broader Strategy and Planning team, and Business Relationship Managers/Portfolio Managers to drive strategic planning and portfolio management activities across I&AGT. The I&AGT Strategy and Planning Lead will support initiatives related to portfolio management, capacity and demand management, financial management, business relationship management, and strategic project delivery. The I&AGT Strategy and Planning Lead’s responsibilities include the execution and delivery of both day-to-day priorities and longer term strategic goals and projects.
- Understands the business strategy and the technology capabilities (People, Process, Technologies) needed to achieve the business goals
- Ensures Business Relationship Managers, Portfolio Managers, and the business have timely resource planning information and understand I&AGT’s ability to execute
- Lead Portfolio Management activities inclusive of Capacity, Demand, and Financial Management
- Drive data analysis and related activities providing insights into the data that will allow leadership run the business of technology and determine I&AGT’s ability to deliver to the business
- Manage I&AGT Strategy and Planning reporting and data, inclusive of the Monthly Business Review process and materials
- Works with Strategy and Planning Data Analysts to ensure standards for reporting are maintained within the Line of Business aligned technology group (I&AGT)
- Collaborates with others to solve complex problems; uses sophisticated analytical thought and education and/or equivalent experience to exercise judgment and identify innovative solutions.
- Leads directly or indirectly through managers and/or advanced level professionals; develops annual or long-range plans to align with functional strategies
- Follows established value assurance framework for technology investment and initiative prioritization
- Determines organizational ability to execute the initiatives both Business and Technology people and process (including Rough Order Magnitude of investments/durations)
- Solve for a broad range of problems; taking a new perspective on existing solutions; exercise judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information and education and/or equivalent experience
Education / Training
- Bachelor's degree with relevant experience required
- Masters of Business Administration a plus
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or Project Management Institute (PMI) certification a plus.
- 10+ years’ experience with strategic and operational planning, Portfolio Management, Budget/Financial Management
- 10+ years of Business Relationship and Project Management experience within the Financial Services Industry
- Demonstrated experience with staff management experience (direct and matrix reporting)
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
Required Skills / Knowledge
- Strong business orientation with the ability to build and manage multiple business relationships at senior levels
- Significant experience with, and strong understanding of, demand and capacity management as well as portfolio and financial management methodologies, tools and techniques
- Understanding of the Technology Delivery Life Cycle (TDLC), including Agile development methodology
- Strong process orientation with the ability to create and institutionalize robust, efficient, and repeatable practices, tools and support processes.
- Familiarity with all IT functions and services
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with ability to create and deliver content to Senior Leadership
- Ability to manage demand from multiple clients, and source services from multiple providers (both internal and external)
- Requires broad and comprehensive understanding of internal and external best practice in Portfolio Management, Project Management, and Strategy/Roadmap build-out
- Possesses in-depth and strategic knowledge across the organization including knowledge of key strategies, the competitive environment, functional processes, and organizational dynamics
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications with demonstrated ability to build and deliver executive level presentations and analysis
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
A little about us:
From sales careers to professions in insurance and investments, we lead the way.