The Trade Compliance Specialist is to support import and export activities and procedures that ensure compliance with local and international laws and regulatory regimes as applicable to the movement of goods internationally. Principle Duties:
- Supports the administration and implementation of Trade Compliance processes as an individual contributor and project lead to ensure compliance with Johnson Controls Inc. and local site policies and requirements as well as government regulations, including those administered under Customs, EAR, ITAR, and OFAC and their international equivalents.
- Independently qualifies products as originating under 2 - 5 regional free trade agreement programs with minimal supervision from reporting Trade Compliance Manager.
- Assigns Harmonized System (HS) tariff codes, Export Control Classification Numbers (ECCNs), and regional trade-related-codes to primary and secondary products imported and exported in the normal course of business; escalates more complex HS classifications to reporting Trade Compliance Manager.
- Reviews for accuracy and completeness: 1) the trade data keyed and submitted to the Government by outside service providers and 2) the Customs brokers billing invoices.
- Leads management of service providers (e.g., Customs brokers, freight forwarders), including responding to requests for information and bringing forward to reporting manager issues of non-compliance with standard operating procedures.
- Maintains and analyzes a broad set of trade compliance records in accordance with regulatory requirements and Tyco initiatives to ensure legal compliance.
- Creates and analyzes trade compliance data using spreadsheets and other database tools to support business goals and initiatives.
- Ability to tackle more complex trade compliance issues as apply to Customs valuation, duty saving programs, prior disclosures, internal/external audits, etc.
Physical Demand and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor degree in a business administration, production, inventory international supply chain, and resource management related program or equivalent experience in related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience (manufacturing company trade compliance experience a plus)
- Advanced knowledge of U.S. and International Customs Requirements
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel and MS Word
- Strong verbal, written communications skills
- Skills in general business, effective negotiation and verbal/written communications are required
- Knowledge/Familiarity with "maquiladora/IMEX" operations a plus
- Visual concentration in use of video display terminal.
- Levels of stress associated with working in a production procurement related environment.