Job Location: United States : Florida : Tampa
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers’ lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company’s mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable.
This Income Tax Manager will be responsible for the review of Brighthouse Financial’s federal and state income tax returns including federal income tax for life and non-life entities, state income and franchise tax for life and non-life entities, and Secretary of State annual reports. This tax professional will be responsible for performing detailed review of the taxable income calculations for life and non-life entities, proforma returns, sub-consolidations, and consolidated returns. Responsibilities also include detailed review of Brighthouse Financial’s quarterly income tax estimates and year-end extension calculations and filings. This tax professional will be responsible for performing detailed review of GAAP and Statutory interim and annual tax provision computations (including ASC 740-270, formerly FIN 18) and interim and annual tax projections. This tax professional will also be responsible for providing support and assistance to the tax controversy team for the federal and state income tax portion of external/internal audits. This position will report jointly to the Income Tax Compliance Director and Tax Accounting & Reporting Director.
- Review Brighthouse Financial’s federal and state income tax returns including US federal income tax for life and non-life entities, state income and franchise tax for life and non-life entities
- Review federal legal entity taxable income calculations and separate proforma returns for life and non-life entities
- Review consolidation schedules and sub-consolidations for federal income tax return filings
- Monitor the e-filing process for electronically filed federal and state income and franchise tax returns
- Review quarterly estimated payment calculations, year-end extension payment calculations, and related payment vouchers for federal and state income and franchise tax filings
- Review state taxable income calculations and separate proforma returns for life and non-life entities
- Review state consolidated and unitary income tax calculations and returns
- Review state franchise tax filings and other Secretary of State annual reports
- Ensure adequate, audit ready documentation is maintained for all federal and state income and franchise tax filings
- Research federal and state income and franchise tax issues
- Analyze and advise on the impact of potential federal and state income and franchise tax law changes
- Coordinate with Finance, Accounting, and other internal groups to ensure Tax receives all data required to complete tax adjustment calculations and has a thorough understanding of the book accounting treatment of tax sensitive policies
- Provide support and assistance to the tax controversy team for the federal and state income tax portion of external/internal audits, including communications with the IRS or other taxing authorities upon exam and response to income tax notices
- Review interim and annual US GAAP and Statutory income tax provisions and projections prepared in accordance with ASC 740 and SSAP 101 including analysis of the effective tax rate (ETR) and estimated annual effective tax rate (EAETR), current and deferred tax liability, tax attribute carryforward schedules, deferred tax rollforwards and tax basis proofs, ASC 740-10 (previously FIN 48) reserve analysis, and return to provision reconciliations
- Review US GAAP and Statutory interim and annual current and deferred tax journal entries
- Review of US GAAP current tax payable proof
- Review of tax disclosures in US GAAP and Statutory financial statements, including Management’s Discussion and Analysis, income tax footnote, ETR schedule, tax rate discussion, analysis of forward looking tax-related risks, etc.
- Ensure compliance with SOX requirements for interim and annual reporting and maintain all controls and supporting documentation
- Assist the Tax Accounting & Reporting Director with managing and coordinating the tax portion of external audits and work with the external auditors to ensure the accuracy of tax information in the financial statements, and the sufficiency of the related disclosures and control environment
- Manage income tax compliance and reporting calendars and ensure timely and accurate completion of all deliverables (for both GAAP and STAT reporting)
- Assist the Income Tax Compliance Director and Tax Accounting & Reporting Director with identifying and implementing opportunities for process improvement to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the income tax compliance and accounting functions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or working toward Masters in Tax
- Minimum 5-7 years of income tax accounting and compliance experience in the financial, life insurance industry or in a tax practice of a major accounting firm working with life insurance companies
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong accounting and analytical skills
- Ability to manage multiple complex tasks towards completion at the same time
- Ability to effectively manage and develop a supporting team of tax professionals
- Masters in Tax/Accounting
- Technical proficiency in consolidated tax return regulations as well as Life/Non-Life group issues
- Working proficiency with income tax compliance and accounting software (e.g. CorpTax, OneSource, other)
- Technical proficiency in life insurance tax and tax accounting (ASC 740, SSAP 101)
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 52681