The Material Handler is responsible for carrying out general line operations and cleaning regimes according to planned operational requirements to safely deliver a good quality packed product. As a core member of the operations team the Seasonal Operator plays an important role in maintaining line safety and will identify process or line issues to leaders.
The Seasonal Operator position works during the factory’s peak production season, and can expect to work 8-10 months out of the calendar year (approximately January-October). Duties & Responsibilities
A. Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Operational Activities:
- Carries out pre start-up checks to ensure that the area and equipment is clean and is in a safe condition
- Performs initial inspection and cleaning
- Provides a continuous supply of appropriate packaging material from storage areas to demarcated storage areas as per existing 5S standards.
- Monitors quality against set standards and reports any product and packaging defects.
- Conducts effective hand-over activities and accurately records events that have occurred during shift (cases packed/rejects etc).
- Understands all safe practices and systems relevant to the equipment and the safety responsibilities placed upon individuals.
- Utilizes appropriate safety and environmental procedures for people, processes, materials, products and equipment relevant to the task.
- Contributes to reducing costs due to product waste and minimize impact to health, safety and the environment and through the correct handling of product.
- Accurately pack the product into cartons after final inspection has been completed.
- Ensure all rework tubs are properly tagged and taken to Mix Room.
- Monitor wrap, carton seal, code dates, tapes on RSCs and packaging appearances.
- Assist with troubleshooting with equipment as necessary
- Notify machine operator of problems or concerns
- Assist machine operators as necessary
- Assist on other lines whenever necessary
- Keep all work areas clean and free of debris
- Attend and participate in team meetings and WCM activities
- Ensure raw materials are ready for use in production
- Follow Unilever quality standards to include GMPs which include personal health and hygiene, HACCP, allergen control, foreign material control, and product integrity
- Continuous Improvement – An awareness of how to use performance measures to identify and prioritize losses in production area; provides description of problems and can provide monitoring of process or line issues.
- Teamwork – Must be a good team member capable of working within a highly effective team; responsible, supportive and reliable. Maintain a professional attitude; treat all employees with respect.
- Communication – Can adequately communicate issues, both written and verbal, relating to safety, quality, output, and cost; can provide operational observations and inputs to support overall team objectives.
· High school diploma or equivalent GED
Part IV: Work Environment
Varying temperatures and a warm, wet environment
- Chemical use and handling
- Lifting up to 50 pounds; position will require individuals to lift an average of 30-50 boxes per hour, weighing up to 50 pounds
- Occasional pushing/pulling up to 80 pounds
- Must be available to work overtime, extended shifts and alternate schedules
- Required to wear company-furnished safety equipment and uniform
- Work in loud environments while utilizing proper safety equipment
- Working at heights above 4 feet
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Repetitive motions including bending, kneeling, twisting, pushing, pulling