In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers' lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company's mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable.
The Indirect Tax Manager will be responsible for performing first level detailed review of a portion of Brighthouse Financials indirect tax compliance and accounting deliverables, which could include premium, retaliatory and municipal tax, sales and use tax, payroll and product withholding tax, and property tax. This professional will also be responsible for performing indirect tax research (as needed), assisting with coordinating and managing third party indirect tax service providers, and assisting with the indirect tax portion of external and internal audits. This position will report to the Indirect Tax Director. Job Location
United States : North Carolina : Charlotte Alternate Job Location
United States : Florida : Tampa Job Description
- Perform first level detailed review of a portion of Brighthouse Financials indirect tax compliance and accounting, which could include premium, retaliatory and municipal tax, sales and use tax, payroll and product withholding tax, and property tax.
- Perform first level detailed review of premium, retaliatory and municipal tax filings, including reconciliations of Schedule T of the Annual Statement to the general ledger, determination of qualified vs. non-qualified dividends and premiums, tracking and reporting of tax credits, etc.
- Perform first level detailed review of sales and use tax returns (monthly, quarterly, and annual returns, as required).
- Work with staff tax professionals to ensure sales tax exemption certificates are maintained.
- Perform first level detailed review of personal property tax renditions, and review personal property tax assessments and payments.
- Assist the Indirect Tax Director in coordinating with third party indirect tax service providers to ensure the appropriate withholding of payroll and product taxes.
- Perform first level detailed review of interim and annual indirect tax accruals, including period over period variance analyses.
- Assist the Indirect Tax Director in monitoring and ensuring compliance with applicable indirect tax guidance and ensure consistent application across Brighthouse Financial legal entities.
- Assist with indirect tax research, as needed.
- Assist the Indirect Tax Director with managing indirect tax reporting related risk, including compliance with control requirements.
- Assist the Indirect Tax Director with leading the indirect tax portion of external/internal audits, including communications with auditors upon exam and response to indirect tax notices.
- Manage indirect tax compliance and accounting calendars and ensure timely and accurate completion of all deliverables.
- Assist the Indirect Tax Director with identifying and implementing opportunities for process improvement to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the indirect tax function.
- Minimum 5-7 years of indirect tax reporting and compliance experience in the life insurance industry or in a tax practice of an accounting firm working with life insurance companies.
- Technical experience in life insurance indirect tax.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong accounting and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks towards completion at the same time.
- Ability to effectively manage and develop a supporting team of tax professionals.
- Masters in Tax/Accounting
- Working proficiency with indirect tax software (e.g. Vertex, TriTech Premium Pro, other)
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
Tax Number of Openings
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace. Note to Mobile Users: If viewing on a mobile device and would like to apply, please email the job to yourself and complete the application from a desktop/laptop. Note to Desktop/Laptop Users: For immediate consideration, click Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job. Internal Use Only: 12M