Job Location: United States : Florida : Tampa
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers’ lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company’s mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable.
The Manager, Payroll Tax Operations will serve as Brighthouse Financials subject matter US Payroll Tax expert. This role will work cross-functionally with areas of HR, Tax and Legal to drive compliance with US payroll remittance, reporting and filing obligations related to local, state and Federal tax laws. The role will oversee the third party vendor(s) that supports the registration and/or closure of employment tax localities as well as the withholding, filing, remittance as well as the preparation of payroll tax returns. The manager will conduct regular audits to ensure that Brighthouse Financial is compliant with local, state, and Federal payroll tax requirements as well as manages and handles tax records. The manager will also drive business requirements from projects that involve payroll and payroll tax.
- Ensure the organization's compliance with local, state and Federal tax withholding, remittance and reporting responsibilities. Manage the third party vendor(s) that are responsible for the administration of the registration or closure of employment tax authorizations as well as the remittance and reporting of payroll tax.
- Work closely with appropriate teams to ensure appropriate tax withholding methodologies are applied to employee equity, non-cash compensation and supplemental compensation; Primary contact for payroll tax related issues, troubleshoot and resolve complex issues where considerable judgement is required.
- Functionally identify, plan and execute procedural improvements in relation to payroll tax to enhance as well as promote effectiveness, efficiency, compliance and accuracy; Guarantee all tax remittances, filings and returns are accurate and accomplished on time to reduce tax obligations.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements, including automation of manual processes and drive improvements and automation in partnership with the Corporate Platforms Technical team; Stay current on legislative and industry changes that affect US payroll tax withholding, remittance, or filing obligations.
- Maintains internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by audits (both internal & external); Review summaries of process control findings, present issues to management; Coordinate and supervise the development and implementation of action plans to address issues or findings.
- Manage, support, or participate in large scale and/or cross functional domestic as well as global projects as it relates to payroll tax.
- Minimum of five years of domestic payroll and payroll tax knowledge; Minimum of five years of handling all aspects of payroll tax duties and responsibilities, multi-state and multi-company preferred, or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or related field/equivalent experience.
- Strong knowledge of applicable rules and regulations surrounding payroll tax as well as applicable systems knowledge.
- Strong ability to read, comprehend and analyze intricate regulatory payroll tax information, including having a comprehensive understanding of payroll tax and the statutory environment, for Federal, local and state tax regulations.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, coaching, organizational, verbal, presentation and written communication skills.
- Experience leading, managing or working with both offshore teams as well as third party vendors.
- Knowledge of SAP (particularly related to payroll and workforce administration)
- MBA; Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation; CPA
- Multi-state and multi-company experience
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 41725
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.