We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
At United, the Pricing and Revenue Management department optimizes revenue for the company’s industry-leading network. Pricing defines price points based on industry dynamics and customers’ willingness to pay, as well as assigns rules to the fares. Revenue Management forecasts demand for each fare product and overbooks the sale of seats to account for cancellations. Both Pricing and Revenue Management are essential to United’s efforts to maximize revenue on its network.
Job overview and responsibilities
Interns will be placed into either Pricing or Revenue Management depending on the organization’s needs, and are provided with training focused on industry dynamics, airline economics and Pricing / Revenue Management technical skills. A mentor is also assigned to each individual for personalized assistance and development.
Interns will influence the pricing and revenue management decisions in a multi-million dollar market portfolio. The position offers students an opportunity to work on high-visibility cross-functional teams to formulate advanced seasonal plans, analyze market trends and communicate revenue opportunities to senior leadership. The candidate will also develop analytical marketing skills around consumer choice, price elasticity and customer segmentation.
Additionally, the candidate will serve as an internal consultant providing business analyses on various strategic initiatives such as:
- Developing and implementing revenue management strategies, customer segmentation approaches and new market launches
- Defining pricing issues and identifying how pricing facts, data, and decisions link to overall business strategy issues
- Partnering with other commercial divisions such as network planning, marketing, loyalty program and sales to influence joint strategies to drive results
Critical Skills & Experience
- Proven ability to prioritize a range of responsibilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well with others
- Ability to apply quantitative skills and business acumen to airline industry
- Relevant work experience and airline industry exposure is a plus, however not required
- Current undergraduate student, demonstrating strong academic performance
- Position is based at United’s Headquarters at the Willis Tower in downtown Chicago, IL; target start date is May/June 2018
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship now or in the future
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
A little about us:
Connecting people. Uniting the world. Every day, we help unite the world by connecting people to the moments that matter most. This shared purpose drives us to be the best airline for our employees, customers and everyone we serve.