Location: Toledo, Ohio - United States Description:
The Director, International Tax will be expected to lead a group of professionals that identifies and implements best practices that will minimize the Corporation's overall tax cost, creates an environment of proactive tax planning and compliance, and works closely with the accounting staff to accurately and efficiently report the Corporation's tax positions in its consolidated financial statements in compliance with all SEC requirements.
[The Director, International Tax will be primarily responsible for the creation and implementation of global tax planning strategies; providing Tax Accounting leadership with respect to the International tax provision; involvement in the M&A tax planning and integration process; coordination of global tax audits; interation with the finance and business management teams; and the growth and development of the International tax team. ]
In addition to the Director, International Tax will lead the North American indirect tax function. The Director International tax will lead the group in the idenfification of process efficiencies and audit defense in the indirect tax area.
The position reports to the Vice President - Taxes.
The position will manage an internal team of 6 professionals as well as direct external tax resources in the Tax Planning and Tax Compliance areas.Responsibilities:
- Developing and Executing Tax Planning Strategy
- Oversee and proactively initiate and execute a diverse range of International tax planning strategies effectively leveraging internal and external resources.
- Lead the International tax compliance, research, audit and litigation activities, including controlling, administering and managing income taxes in the Asia Pacific region, Europe, Mexico, and Brazil.
- Interface closely with senior corporate and business unit leaders to develop and implement strategies, which minimize tax liability through sound and informed application of tax laws and regulations, aligned with the company's operating and strategic plans.
- Form strategic partnerships with foreign country and regional management groups to facilitate the exchange of business information and favorably impact Owens Corning's tax position.
- Cash tax goals
- Effective tax rate
- Directing Controls and Operations
- Ensure the proper reflection of tax planning transactions from a financial reporting and tax return compliance perspective.
- Develop and administer tax repatriation strategies that maximize repatriations from non-U.S. locations back to the U.S. or other offshore locations, with minimal or no tax costs.
- Provide tax leadership in performing due diligence for potential acquisitions, consolidations and divestitures.
- Provide tax leadership in developing efficient tax structures for potential acquisitions.
- Communicate tax strategy with business units and insure that the business unit leaders understand and are on-board as to the value that the strategies bring to the Company.
- Review of tax rate planning, quarterly tax computations, FAS 109, and FIN 48 requirements for non-U.S. legal entities to ensure proper inclusion in the effective tax rate while interfacing with external auditor to assure alignment.
- Provide leadership to the income tax group for reporting of planning transactions in the tax return.
- Mentor and develop the International Tax and Indirect Tax teams.Metrics
- The extent to which people are led in an organized and timely effort to achieve tax goals.
- The extent to which there are cost effective and simplified approaches to tax planning and due diligence work to deliver tax conclusions on time and within budget.
- Leading and Developing Talent
- The Director, International Tax is responsible for performance management, needs assessment, training and development which ensure the positive career growth and engagement of the tax professionals.
- Effectively creates and fills openings with the appropriate mix of internal promotions and external recruitment to satisfy near-term performance, longer-term succession needs and to insure the organization has the necessary outstanding talent to deliver the Company's strategy.Metrics
- Rate of involuntary turnover for poor and marginal performers
- Talent additions through external recruiting
- Number of turnovers of high performance and growth talent
- Leading the Tax Function
- Inspires teamwork across staff functions and other business groups to maximize the performance of Owens Corning and the development of people.
- Is an effective member of the Tax function.
- Is regarded by the employees of Owens Corning as a role model for their growth, development and conduct.
- Communicates strategy and performance to internal constituents effectively and engages them in the vision of the tax function and it's relationship to the business.Metrics
- Feedback from VP - Taxes, direct reports and peers
- Reduction of tax
- Waste elimination across our global tax operations
- 10 to 15 years of tax experience, including exposure to significant and complex domestic and international tax matters, with a demonstrated track record of success.
- A broad base of tax experience with a heavy emphasis on international tax, including planning, compliance, litigation, and research in support of federal and international tax matters.
- Exposure to tax planning activities in support of business transactions (mergers and acquisitions, integrations, dispositions, restructurings, spin-offs).
- The ideal profile includes a mix of public accounting and corporate experience. Although not required, a career in public accounting is highly likely, at the Senior Manager level.
- A Bachelors Degree is required. A CPA, MBA, and/or JD, is preferred.Knowledge and Skills:
- Business Relationships: Is able to develop strong business relationships within the Company in order to understand how the businesses work and to be able to tailor tax strategies that will gain acceptance and insure success with complete buy-in from the businesses.
- Process Improvement: Is able to continuously drive improvement in the processes within tax to simplify the implementation and maintenance of tax strategies.
- Technical Skills: Has strong technical tax skills and is able to understand and apply the tax laws as they apply in a large multinational company.
- Financial Acumen: Broad and deep knowledge of tax, including superb understanding of tax policy, law and its administration. A high level of creativity in managing tax opportunities and issues. Proven ability to develop and implement comprehensive tax plans. A strong foundation of technical understanding in income tax concepts as well as accounting processes and systems. Demonstrated ability to identify and communicate complicated tax issues in terms of impact on business operations and to effectively engage senior management in tax reporting and risk management matters to achieve a proper level of commitment and involvement. Common sense approach to the development and implementation of income tax strategies and programs.
- Business Partner: Strong ability to build business partnerships to influence discussions and decisions of senior management. Able to explain technical tax concepts in clear, common sense terms. Analytical skills focused on problem solving and process improvement.
- Leadership and Communication Skills: Demonstrated executive presence that enhances relationships with senior management and customers. Positive influencing skills, able to interact with professionals in various functional areas to resolve issues throughout the organization and to mesh complex tax concepts with data needs from non-tax groups. Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Communicates in a manner that encourages an ongoing dialogue with complete candor that builds trust and encourages creativity within the financial team.
- Results orientation and business acumen: Ability to bridge the technical and regulatory parameters of tax management with the practical and financial realities of the business. Has a genuine interest in how the underlying business works and is skilled at seeing new possibilities for tax strategies to enhance the value of the business, as well as proactively helping management understand the requirements and parameters placed by tax regulations.
- Strong collaboration and influencing skills: Ability to work credibly and collaboratively with global cross-functional management teams. Responsive to business unit and corporate office needs and successful in advancing initiatives across an organization.Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
About Owens Corning
- Results Oriented: Drives results in difficult situations and implements strategies in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Change Agent: Always looks at alternative ways of doing things and embraces change as a means of driving and simplifying processes.
- Learn Continuously and Develop Others: Technically up to date and able to teach and mentor tax staff in understanding and learning tax application in a multinational corporate environment.
- Business Savvy: Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands various types of business propositions and understands how businesses operate in general; learns new methods and technologies easily.
- Problem Solver: Can solve the most complex of problems; great at gleaning meaning from whatever data is available; is a quick study of the new and different, adds personal insight and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques.
- Organized: Is well organized and resourceful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
- Confident: Fearlessly takes on all issues, challenges, and people; comfortably confronts and works through conflicts; delivers negative feedback and messages without hesitation; deals promptly and fairly with problem performers; lets everyone know where they stand; thrives in crises and is energized by tough challenges; not afraid to make difficult decisions and take tough action; challenges the status quo.
- Action-Oriented: Attacks everything with drive and passion with a focus on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to the finish line.
- Approachable: Interpersonally agile; easy to approach and talk to; relates well to all kinds of people; makes a good first impression; builds solid relationships; and listens attentively. Brings a collaborative and charismatic personal style that creates commitment and enthusiasm throughout an organization.
- High Integrity: Is a person of high character; is consistent and acts in line with a clear and visible set of core values and beliefs; is direct and truthful but at the same time can keep confidences.
- Strong Intellect: Has the intellectual capacity and aptitude required to lead and manage a sophisticated tax department. Deals effectively with strategic issues, as well as tactical operational details.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Possesses a sense of ownership and entrepreneurial spirit. Comfortable in a dynamic and evolving organization. Innovative in developing organizational processes and procedures.
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.