At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description: 3M is seeking a Design Engineering Intern for Corporate Engineering's Design & Engineering Solutions group located in Maplewood, MN for summer 2018. Here, you go.
As an intern, you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders.
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10-12 week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy. Job Summary:
The person hired for this position will primarily be responsible for equipment design engineering, process understanding and equipment functionality through the completion of engineering projects. In this position the engineer will provide entry-level engineering support and services for manufacturing, laboratory, and corporate facilities, develop proficiency within assigned projects utilizing established methods, practices, and concepts and acquire general knowledge and understanding of the Engineering organization. This person will also lead small engineering projects or participate on larger projects where a team approach is utilized.
We are proud to offer a culture with high levels of team work, collaboration, and cooperation. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to become exposed to numerous 3M manufacturing processes, equipment and techniques, in numerous locations throughout the United States and the world. Roles and Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Generate equipment layouts, design concept models, and validate design using computer modeling, stress analysis, knowledge of strength of materials and structures, material selection and design for manufacturability.
- Utilize technical skills to identify specific customer equipment design requirements for modifying and/or improving on existing equipment.
- Communicate with equipment suppliers in the selection, purchase and delivery of commercial items. Participate in the assembly/checkout of equipment in the fabrication shop and installation and commissioning of equipment in the 3M manufacturing plant.
- Develop knowledge in specific technical and technology areas.
- Develop an understanding of industry and 3M technologies and participate in the advancement of the technology and intellectual property protection.
- Manage project timelines and budgets for assigned projects.
- Successfully interact with multiple discipline teams including 3M plant personnel, consultants, suppliers and vendors.
- Communicate effectively to project team.
- Gain understanding of applicable codes and guidelines to insure designs meet standards.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering from an accredited university
- Completed a minimum of Sophomore Year (4 semesters) by summer of 2018
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Prior internship/co-op experience with 3M or another manufacturing company
- Project Management experience
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Team player with the ability to contribute in a matrix environment
- A Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain \"non-U.S. persons\" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, \"Temporary Residents\" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.