At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking an Engineering Analysis Modeling Intern for its Corporate Engineering group located in Maplewood, Minnesota for summer 2018. Here, you go!
At 3M, inspiration happens daily. Here, science is how the magic happens. Except it's not magic. It's the right science applied the right way by the people of 3M. We are a leading global company, employing the best and brightest minds in the world to solve the toughest problems for our customers.
As an intern, you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders. Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10-14 week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in a candidate's best interest to apply early. Most hiring decisions will be made by December 2017.Job Summary:
The person hired for this position will work with various 3M's divisional lab, engineering and manufacturing functions to provide solutions with the use of advanced engineering analysis/modeling. Work involves applying engineering principles and modeling of Fluid Flow, Heat Transfer, and Stress Analysis using programs such as ANSYS, ICEM, etc. in combination with standard CAD tools. Apply the analytical results to arrive at practical, innovative and tangible designs to impact on efficient manufacturing equipment, product and process development programs. Roles and Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Learns about various CAE tools and develops enough expertise under the direction of senior engineers to carry out simple to complex modeling projects.
- Interacts with Design teams to build / bring CAD into CAE and translate the results back into practical designs.
- Interacts with multiple discipline teams including Engineering, Manufacturing (Plants) and 3M laboratories.
- Communicates the results effectively to the project teams with reports and presentations.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering from an accredited program
- Completed a minimum of Sophomore Year (4 semesters) by summer of 2018
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree or higher in Aerospace, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited program.
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Basic understanding and experience with CAD tools and Finite Element Modeling software.
- Understanding of fundamentals of Fluid Flow, Heat Transfer, and/or Stress Analysis.
- Familiarity with common manufacturing systems and processes.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain \"non-U.S. persons\" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, \"Temporary Residents\" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.