At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Manufacturing Systems Engineering Intern for its Corporate Engineering's Process Information & Control Solutions (PI&CS) group located in Maplewood, Minnesota for summer 2018. Here, you go!
At 3M, inspiration happens daily. Here, science is how the magic happens. Except it's not magic. It's the right science applied the right way by the people of 3M. We are a leading global company, employing the best and brightest minds in the world to solve the toughest problems for our customers.
As an intern, you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders. Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10-14 week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in a candidate's best interest to apply early. Most hiring decisions will be made by December 2017.Job Summary:
The person hired for this position will be involved with software development and/or deployment projects. The intern will be involved with the design and implementation of software that sits between the upper level manufacturing and business data systems and the lower level control systems used to manufacture 3M products. The intern will develop proficiency within assigned projects utilizing established methods, practices, and concepts, and acquire general knowledge and understanding of the Engineering organization. The intern will lead small projects or participate on larger projects where a team approach is utilized. Candidates should have an interest in software development, databases, and software deployment.Roles and Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop software, data, and analytics systems in a Scrum team environment
- Deliver working software in compliance with technical reference architectures
- Adhere to secure coding practices and policies
- Adhere to applicable data privacy policies and regulations
- Interact with process engineers and control systems engineers to assess the need for smart manufacturing solutions
- Implement 3M standard software solutions on manufacturing lines
- Implement data collection historians on manufacturing lines
- Computer network concepts/troubleshooting
- Integrate with PLC code via OPC protocol
- Successfully interact with multiple discipline teams including 3M plant personnel, consultants, suppliers, and vendors
- Communicate effectively to project team
- Gain understanding of applicable codes and guidelines to insure designs meet standards
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with an emphasis in Computer Science or Software Engineering from an accredited program
- Completed a minimum of Sophomore Year (4 semesters) by summer of 2018
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Prior internship/co-op with 3M or another manufacturing company
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Team player with the ability to contribute in a matrix environment
- Project management experience
- C# Programming with MS Visual Studio
- Database skills with SQL scripts and stored procedures
- Use of REST APIs
- UI development
- Savigent Workflow Software
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain \"non-U.S. persons\" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, \"Temporary Residents\" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.