At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:
3M is seeking a Data Scientist Intern
for the Corporate Research SEMS Lab located in Maplewood, MN.
At 3M, inspiration happens daily. Here, science is how the magic happens. Except it's not magic. It's the right science applied the right way by the people of 3M. We are a leading global company, employing the best and brightest minds in the world to solve the toughest problems for our customers.
As an intern, you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders. Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10-12 week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Data Scientist Intern will use their knowledge of data science and image analytics to contribute to new technology development programs in the 3M Computational Intelligence Lab.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Invent and develop data science technologies that create new opportunities, in addition to supporting existing 3M products and businesses.
- Collaborate with research teams in corporate research and business labs on building capabilities and applications that use his/her scientific, mathematical, and computational skills.
- Collect and prepare real world data for computer vision, machine learning, data science, probabilistic inference, and/or computational statistics applications.
- Use a variety of programming languages to quickly develop proof of concept algorithms and optimize algorithms for commercialization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Currently in the final year of pursuing a PhD in a Science, Engineering or Math discipline from an accredited university
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on 4.0 scale
- Currently in the final year of pursuing PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Math from an accredited university
- Expertise in machine learning sub-disciplines such as: analysis and reduction of high-dimensional data, markov techniques, genetic algorithms, PCA, kernel methods and manifold embedding
- Programming languages: MATLAB, C, C++, Python
- Strong scientific and technical acumen, with demonstrated interest and ability to make connections between science/technology and real-world concerns
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity of early-stage scouting and evaluation of new opportunities - flexibility to change direction as additional information becomes available
- Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by publications and presentations
- Leadership and networking skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong mechanical aptitude and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
May include up to 10% travel
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.