The role is responsible for managing all aspects of Inventory accounting within the GL Operations team. As such, the role is the subject matter expert for the inventory accounting processes. This position will include managing the month-end close for inventory processes and ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the Financial Statements to the Group level. In addition, a portion of this role will be utilized to ensure GAAP and SOX compliance in our financial statements while obtaining maximum efficiency and effectiveness in our processes.
Specifically, the role is responsible for ensuring:
• Activities of the Inventory accounting team are overseen and staff are managed and developed to maintain high levels of morale, motivation and productivity.
• Key performance indicators for the team are developed and monitored, with actions identified and delivered to achieve process efficiency and overall compliance.
• Inventory transactions are recorded accurately and on a timely basis.
• Inventory imbalances are identified and resolved.
Maintain the overall control and coordination of the (inventory accounting processes by:
• Ensuring timely and accurate processing of all inventory transactions falling under the remit of the Exton based accounting function.
• Managing inventory analysis of RM, WIP and FG.
• Managing inventory transactions and standard cost setting within the ERP systems.
• Ensuring regular reconciliation of all inventory GL balances to underlying sub-ledgers, and resolution of imbalances to achieve Shire's thresholds at month end.
• Ensuring adherence to Shire's inventory accounting process.
• Supervising the activities of accounting associates covering processing of transactions, balance sheet reconciliations, and imbalance resolution.
• Acting as subject matter expert for any issues relating to the inventory accounting processes.
• Reviewing and approving balance sheet reconciliations.
• Providing audit support relating to inventory accounting activity.
Ensure activities of the team are well coordinated and transactional volumes are constantly monitored to ensure resources are appropriately aligned.
Interface with internal and external stakeholders to ensure outstanding service levels are being provided.
Manage the inventory accounting team, ensuring objectives, training needs and development goals are activity pursued to maintain high levels of morale, motivation and productivity.
Frequently review processes for efficiency improvements and compliance with inventory accounting policy.
Manage all aspects of internal and external financial and operational audits.
Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of established internal controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley. This will include making recommendations for enhancements or modifications to existing processes and systems. Responsible for the preparation of monthly and quarterly Sarbanes-Oxley control packages per the documented requirements. Create, update and monitor a system of controls, procedures, and forms related to inventory transactions.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- CPA with 10 years' experience and public accounting background, Big 4 a plus
- 6+ years' of experience accounting for inventory transactions
- Competent on ERP systems (strong preference for SAP and JDE)
- Excellent Excel abilities
- Experience of working in a shared service or large multinational company environment
- Supervisory experience
- Experience of SAP, JDE and Hyperion HFM
- Experience with applying US GAAP to inventory transactions
- Experience from the pharmaceutical industry
- Prior Inventory Accounting experience
Other Job Requirements:
May require some travel, due to the geography of those colleagues that the role interacts with.
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.