• PhD in Robotics, Engineering or a Life Science with 0-7 years postgraduate experience or a Masters in the same with 5- 10 years postgraduate experience.
• Experience in the automation of cell-based and other biological assays for PK, safety and/or efficacy.
• Experience with the build and operation of integrated automation systems, such as those employed in High Throughput Screening in the Pharmaceutical industry (liquid handling, detectors, sample storage).
• Proficient in the use of automation control software, and the scheduling of high throughput experiments.
• Demonstrated ability to influence peers and stakeholders at all levels.
• Significant comfort with challenging the status quo.
• Practical experience in the automation of complex in vitro models such as spheroids, organoids or organs-on-a-chip.
• Experience running parallel or interleaved experiments on a single system.
Are you inquisitive? Creative? Bold? GlaxoSmithKline is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in the areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare, and we need individuals like you to join us in disrupting Healthcare. Together, with a newly formed team of diverse and multi-disciplinary scientists, you will help us create new Intelligent and Automated platforms that will help the company rapidly discover and develop novel medicines to help patients do more, feel better and live longer.
Specifically, we are seeking an automation scientist or engineer with experience in biology automation platforms, liquid handling, microfluidics, and biology assay detector technologies to join this new team. The successful individual will be responsible for drawing upon experience and collaborating with internal experts to design and operate the systems that will enable intelligent and automated drug discovery. In these uncharted territories, this individual will need to be inquisitive, creative and bold.
• Design and build integrated, automation platforms that will enable intelligent drug discovery.
• Work with the team to interface computational algorithms, sample storage and chemical synthesis platforms to the biology automation platform.
• Help in the design and build of user interfaces to the automated platforms as required.
• Be the point of contact for automation support of drug discovery program teams that are utilizing team-derived platforms, and laboratory operations groups such as lab safety and facilities.
• Continuously collaborate with internal experts to understand the needs of Discovery scientists and the availability of new in vitro assay types for the purpose of developing new and existing intelligent automation platforms.
• Independently author scientific papers and presentations, and help represent the team and GlaxoSmithKline at internal and external scientific meetings.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
A little about us:
We are a science-led global healthcare company on a mission to help people to do more, feel better and live longer.