McKesson is in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. We partner with payors, hospitals, physician offices, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and others across the spectrum of care to build healthier organizations that deliver better care to patients in every setting. We believe in the importance of strong, vital organizations because we know that patients can only be healthy when our system is healthy.
Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—by joining McKesson you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. Talented, compassionate people are the future of our company—and of healthcare. At McKesson, you’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
We understand the importance of a system that works together. Your expertise, drive and passion can help us improve everything we touch, from providers to payors to pharmacies. Join our team of leaders to begin a rewarding career.
Wherever you contribute here at McKesson, you will have the ability to make a real impact in the lives of others.
The Category Manager is responsible for strategic sourcing
across a defined commodity space. This individual will leverage their
knowledge of the IT Hardware, Cloud, and XaaS (anything as a service)
categories to present market opportunities to internal customers and guide
sourcing decisions with OEMs, Resellers, and Service Providers. Working
hand-in-hand with IT, Legal, Finance and enterprise customers, the Category
Manager will ensure that McKesson is buying the right service from the right
supplier at the right price.
- Owns category management for a subset of IT Hardware and
- Works with internal stakeholders on current and future business
- Converts potential projects into actionable sourcing events;
drives people and processes to successful, timely completion
- Creates RFX documents and other sourcing materials necessary
to ensure leverage is created/maintained with suppliers
- Generates costs savings through contract negotiations,
demand management, technology transformation, and innovation
- Researches industry trends to stay aware of technology,
suppliers, and best practices
- Communicates sourcing and technology opportunities to
- Creates an annual Category Strategy that examines the
market, supplier offerings, current and future needs, and aligns with IT on a
1-3 year plan
- Operates within a consultative, programmatic seven-step
- Maintains a Supplier Relationship Management program for our
top strategic suppliers
- Works with other shared services groups on contract
development, including Legal, Finance, Compliance, Privacy, Risk Management,
and Information Security
- Manages risk through sound business practices, contract
terms and conditions, and operational continuity plans
- Ensures compliance with company policies, procedures and
- Assists with developing, maintaining, and enforcing Service
Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Conducts self and the category with the highest ethical
standards, ensuring that decisions are objective and fact-based
- Serves as point of escalation for commercial and contractual
- Provides weekly/biweekly updates on project status and
5+ years purchasing experience including 2+ years management experience
- Bachelor's degree (emphasis in Business, Finance, IT, or
Sourcing/Supply Chain preferred)
- Category knowledge and experience sourcing IT Hardware and
IaaS, PaaS, SaaS
- Effective communication internally (stakeholders) and
externally (suppliers) – at both the working team and mid/senior management
- Category management and/or strategic sourcing experience –
demonstrated competency beyond procurement
- Advanced IT negotiation skills, with examples of significant
cost savings and avoidance
- Robust analytical skills – capable of performing TCO
analysis across several different suppliers and purchasing models
- Familiarity with large OEMs and Resellers, as well as
- Previous success in a
large enterprise environment
Additional Knowledge & Skills
- Intellectual curiosity, ability to innovate, and the courage
to challenge the status quo
- Ability to multitask and work on several IT sourcing projects at one time
4-year degree in related field or equivalent experiencePhysical Requirements
General Office DemandsBenefits & Company Statement
McKesson believes superior performance – individual and team – that helps us drive innovations and solutions to promote better health should be recognized and rewarded. We provide a competitive compensation program to attract, retain and motivate a high-performance workforce, and it’s flexible enough to meet the different needs of our diverse employee population.
We are in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. We partner with payers, hospitals, physician offices, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and others across the spectrum of care to build healthier organizations that deliver better care to patients in every setting.
But we can’t do it without you. Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—whatever your title, whatever your role, you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. Talented, compassionate people are the future of our company—and of healthcare. At McKesson, you’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
McKesson is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer – minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities.
Qualified applicants will not be disqualified from consideration for employment based upon criminal history.Agency Statement
No agencies please.
McKesson is in business for better health.