Under direction, performs and is responsible for the most complicated construction and maintenance work on overhead and underground systems. Directs and coordinates the activities of all personnel assisting him/her. Responsible for the effective operation of assigned personnel and the safety of himself/herself, the crew, and the public. Operates all types of heavy equipment, hot sticks and has appropriate valid license.
Must be able to:
1. Safely and effectively completes assigned work with proper use and care of all equipment, tools an d material.
2. Make appropriate recommendations regarding fitness and abilities of employees under his/her direction.
3. Under his/her direction, oversees and verifies documentation of energized primary work of lower-classified employees.
4. Required to glove 25KV nominal. Hot sticks up to 34.5KV.
5. Reads, understands, and carries out provisions of the job orders and associated drawings and sketches.
6. Communicates effectively with the public in the best interest of the Company.
7. May be required to act as a Patrolman or Troubleman.
8. Performs other related or less-skilled work, as required or directed. Performs all tasks in Line Mechanic progression.
9. Must be able to work on all energized and de-energized Distribution voltages.
10. Takes necessary training for advancement to Lead Line Mechanic.
11. Reads, writes and communicates effectively in the English language.
12. After six (6) months in grade, leads a two (2) man bucket crew.
13. Must be willing and able to work overtime on a regular basis and must be available for callout overtime.
Experience demonstrating skill performing construction and maintenance work on overhead and underground dead or energized conductors, structures and equipment.
Experience demonstrating skill installing, testing and maintaining electrical equipment (for example, regulators, reclosures, capacitors, transformers, electric meters).
Experience demonstrating skill performing load and voltage tests on conductors and equipment.
Knowledge of fundamentals of electricity related to the construction, maintenance and operation of distribution and transmission lines and equipment.
Experience demonstrating skill installing and maintaining underground and overhead electrical systems.
Experience demonstrating skill performing switching, grounding and tagging procedures.
Experience demonstrating skill operating:
--construction equipment such as, but not limited to, aerial lifts, digger derricks, cranes, trenchers, backhoes, shovels, puller tensioners, tracked vehicles and forklifts;
--cable locating and electrical test equipment; and
--hand and power tools.
Experience demonstrating skill directing/training others (for example, linemen apprentices).
Ability and willingness to work in a variety of work environments including outdoors in all weather conditions, on or around energized electrical equipment, in confined spaces, underground and in noisy and dirty environments with proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Ability and willingness to perform physically challenging tasks for extended periods of time (for example, entering/exiting manholes, climbing poles and structures, scaffolding, bending, twisting, kneeling, crawling, pulling/pushing, standing, walking, and squatting).
Ability and willingness to work at various locations as required.
Ability and willingness to work overtime, alternative/various shifts, holidays and weekends as required.
Ability and willingness to comply with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation (for example, substance abuse testing, satisfactory driving record).
Ability and willingness to adhere to federal, state, local and company safety regulations in addition to PHI's policies and values.
Ability and willingness to apply resuscitation on or off ground and be able to render practical first aid as required.
Must be able to report to the District Office within one hour of notification.
Must pass qualification tests.
Must possess a valid driver's license.
Must possess a Class A CDL and medical card.
Must have completed a Lineman Apprenticeship or currently be at the level of a 1st Class Journeyman Lineman/Journey Line Mechanic OR possess a journeyman card.
Must successfully pass Criminal History Records Check which consists of a 7-year criminal records check for felony convictions.
Must successfully pass a medical screening to include a drug test.
This position is a NERC Regulated position. As such, a background check will be conducted on the incumbent every seven years. Additionally, the incumbent will be required to complete annual NERC compliance training.
Experience demonstrating skill performing excavation, conduit installation, simple concrete work (e.g., break up concrete) and/or painting of electrical equipment.
Experience demonstrating skill trimming trees and/or brush from right of ways.
Pepco Holdings, an Exelon Company, is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity and does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of characteristics protected by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Never Miss an Update - Follow us on Twitter @PHICareers