L&D Surgical Technologist - PRN Nights (As Needed)
Location : Medical Center of Lewisville
L&D Surgical Tech Job Description :
Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, the Surgical Technologist assist the surgical team in delivering direct and indirect care to the patient in the Operating Room, providing quality health care through the development of an organizational climate that is professional, compassionate and responsive to the patient, physicians and ASSOCIATES. In addition, it is the responsibility of the Surgical Technologist to maintain supplies in the Operating Rooms as well as the LDRs and have those rooms ready for occupation. Whenever necessary, the OBT will function as a Unit Secretary as well as assist with patient care under the direction of the Registered Nurse
The Surgical Technologist must possess knowledge, judgment and skills based on the principles of biological, physiological, behavioral and social sciences within the scope of a Surgical Technologist basic training program. The Surgical Technologist assists the surgical team in identifying patient needs and plans and initiates interventions for resolution when applicable.
- Participates in hospital or departmental performance improvement activities.
- Is authorized to have access to medication room for the purposes of obtaining supplies located in that room.
- Is authorized to have access to medications sent in tube system.
- Assists in damp dusting light fixtures, tables, Mayo and ring stands.
- Assists in checking supplies, instruments and equipment against preference card and/or obtaining any missing items.
- Responsible for scrubbing assigned procedures.
- Anticipates the surgeon's needs in performing the operation and provides for a safe and sterile surgical environment.
- Uses supplies and suture judiciously.
- Accurately handles all specimens.
- Assists in cleaning the patient prior to applying surgical dressing.
- Assists in the care and maintenance of instruments, equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the location, care and operation of all surgical instruments, equipment and supplies.
- Assists in cleaning and restocking all the operating rooms.
- Initiates and/or assists in updating preference cards.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Seeks opportunities to improve department or interdepartmental processes.
- Serves as a clinical resource to department staff, students, volunteers and other departments, and contributes to the teamwork essential to ensuring quality patient care
- Takes appropriate measures to ensure safety of patients.
- Clerical duties as related to nursing unit activities.
- Assists in cleaning and restocking LDRs.
- Assist with meeting basic patient needs as directed by RN and allowed by Medical Center of Lewisville.
- Performs special assignments as needed/requested.
L&D Surgical Tech Job Requirements :
- Current surgical technologist certification or LVN licensure required for Surgical Tech II.
- Eligibility for certification required for Surgical Tech I, and certification must be attained within 180 days of graduation from surgical technology program.
- Basic life support certification required or attained immediately after hire.
- Graduate of an accredited school of Surgical Technology required.
- Documented clinical knowledge and skills related to Surgical Services.
- Previous experience, as a Surgical Technologist preferred.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with others to ensure quality patient care.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Continuous focus on excellence in work environment.
- Possess the ability to deal tactfully with employees, physicians, patients and families.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom