Monsanto is at the leading edge of using new technologies to harness the genetic potential of entire crop genomes. Molecular Breeding Technology (MBT) Program is the global organization that provides this capability through the delivery of high throughput seed chipping and genotyping data, development of new platforms and processes for genome analysis, and development of new tools and information for selection in the breeding and biotechnology pipelines. We currently have an opening for a Lab Analytics Lead in the Ankeny/Bangalore Production Genotyping Platform which is a part of MBT. The position will be located in Ankeny, IA.
The production genotyping platforms provide 100s of millions of data points via high efficiency lab processes and automation. The quality of the data and speed of lab cycle time are constantly being evaluated for optimization through better data-based decisions. As Monsanto becomes a more data centric company, the lab is also undergoing a transformation to become more data driven so that we can move away from a reactive model and move toward a more predictive and prescriptive model. The Lab Analytics Lead will report directly to the Genotyping Platform Lead and matrix report to the Lead of Genome Information Sciences. The Genome Information Sciences Platform owns the IT strategy for the MBT Program and will ensure that all analytical tools and applications are developed with this strategy in mind. The Lab Analytics Lead will join the MBT extended leadership team.
• Leading the analytics strategy to transition the lab from a reactive model towards a predictive and prescriptive model
• Fostering a team culture across the production lab to standardize around data driven decisions
• Creating process quality tools and decision trees as a precursor to integration of advanced analytics
• Enabling accessibility of key analytics both internally and externally to our partners
• Designing statistically rigorous experiments in support of process improvement and identifying root causes of data quality concerns
• Partnering with internal and external analytics and IT teams (local and enterprise) to prioritize opportunities for integration of advanced analytics to improve lab health
• Contributing directly to the development of innovations that improve efficiency in new and existing workflows
Required Education & Skills/Experience:
• Minimum of a Master's Degree in Engineering, Statistics, Comp Bio, Comp Science or a related field
• Experienced with SQL and database navigation
• Experience as a programmer with R or an equivalent statistical language
• Experience with Spotfire or equivalent data visualization tools
• Ability to mentor and develop others to become proficient users of software tools
• Ability to collaborate effectively in interdisciplinary teams in MBT and partner organizations
• Ability to deliver innovative and creative solutions to complex problems
• Demonstrated communication and leadership skills
Desired Education & Skills/Experience:
• PhD in Engineering, Statistics, Comp Bio, Comp Science or a related field
• Experience with next generation sequencing platforms or automation workflow development and transition
• Prior experience with people leadership
• Experience with machine learning and/or operations research algorithms
• Certification in Lean and/or Six Sigma
• Prior experience in agriculture
Who is Monsanto?
Monsanto is an agriculture company with more than 20,000 employees focused on making a balanced meal accessible to everyone. We work to help farmers produce food in a more sustainable way. We think about how our food is grown so farmers have the tools they need to have better harvests.
We believe that bringing diverse perspectives together is the most effective way to develop creative solutions to some of the world's biggest challenges. Career opportunities at Monsanto range from farming, plant breeding, chemistry and engineering to marketing, environmental science, IT and many other areas. We are seeking exceptional individuals interested in developing a strong career while collaborating to develop solutions for sustainable agriculture.
Why work with us?
• Life at Monsanto means collaborating with dedicated professionals in a stimulating environment
• Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships
• You will work with market leading brand products in a global organization
• We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and some of the best career development opportunities in the industry
• Monsanto is named Great Place to Work in many countries around the world
Join our global team where your contribution will make a real difference!
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.