The Laboratory Supervisor is responsible for ensuring that the laboratory technicians perform the tests and tasks according to the established procedures and work schedules within a framework of safety, quality and efficiency. This job description is intended to provide an overview of the position and does not include all the tasks that might be required to provide support for your area job requirements.Key accountabilities
- Participate, coordinate, conduct and ensure completion of regular safety meetings and all refinery safety programs. Responsible for health and safety performance and awareness in the Laboratory to achieve goals of no accidents, no harm to people and no harm to the environment.
- Prepares the lab work schedules and manages the daily attendance information to ensure compliance of the payroll requirements.
- Manages the lab supplies to ensure an adequate stock for supporting the lab operation.
- Promote a clean, safe work area and adequate housekeeping within the Laboratory
- Provides support to operating units to assure timely, quality decisions on process feedstock's, intermediate streams and finished products.
- Serves as the primary communications link within the Laboratory for the assigned operating units or area, and is responsible for giving direction, supervisory input, and overall leadership for a team of 14 Laboratory Technicians.
- Strong focus on reliability and precision of testing in area(s) to assure and/or assist Operations and Commercial departments execute their business plans
- Supervise Laboratory employees by communicating expectations, participating in performance discussions, encourage personal development, and deliver constructive feedback to direct reports
- Mentor and coach Laboratory Technicians regarding best practices, cost control, and participate in Technician evaluations, capabilities and exercises
- Create standards of performance for the analytical group including hiring, training, certification and re-certification programs in regard to hardware, software, and systems within the Laboratory
- Assure the Laboratory follows "Good Laboratory Practices" as defined by the EPA, ASTM and other Federal, State and/or Local regulatory agencies. Execute corporate guidelines of reliable, accurate laboratory function as promoted by the Laboratory Manager's Network and the Global Fuels and Refining Technical groups
- Participate in incident investigations and IRIS reporting system, internal or external to the Laboratory
- Perform analytical tests when is required.
- Approves finished products according to the established procedures.
- Lead hourly represented team to deliver necessary results to the businessUnderstands and is compliant with all Control of Work (CoW) and Process Safety policies and procedures
Required: High School Diploma
Preferred: Bachelor's Degree Preferred:
State of Ohio Stationary Engineering License Essential experience and job requirements
Required: Minimum of 3 years of supervision experience required
Preferred: Experience in Union ShopOther Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Exhibited leadership skills in supervising and directing employees.
- Analyzing Problems/Troubleshooting & Problem Solving: Systematically determine the root cause(s) of problems through questioning and inspecting, and then identify the best course of action to take
- Ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences to optimize or detect abnormal conditions within the process
- The ability to multitask while performing job tasks, without being distracted
- Assist in HAZOPs, MOC's, Incident Investigations, and Job Safety Analysis
- Identify and assess safety hazards
- Has exhibited leadership skills in directing, appraising, counseling, and coaching employees.
- Possesses the skills required to conduct an incident investigationComputer Programs—Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word
Yes - up to 10%Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 92,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 100 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The BP-Husky Refining facility (formerly known as BP Toledo Refinery) located in Northwest Ohio, has operated continuously since 1919. Since that time, the facility has undergone numerous improvements to achieve its current capacity for processing 160,000 barrels of crude oil daily. Recently, BP and Husky Energy finalized the formation of two historic 50/50 joint ventures. One joint venture will develop Husky's Sunrise oil sands field located in Alberta, Canada, and the other joint venture will reposition and operate the Toledo Refinery located in Ohio. As a result, the Toledo Refinery will have access to a reliable source of crude from North America and ensure the refinery's future for years to come. BP also has large, modern refineries in Cherry Point, WA; and Whiting IN.Segment
[ "27-Sep-2017" ]
A little about us:
One of the world's leading international oil & gas companies, BP employs over 80,000 talented minds in 80 countries, fostering innovation & diversity.