Labor Relations Specialist
Company: Penske Truck Leasing
Location: Keller, Texas
Posted: December 22, 2017
Reference ID: 1713925
The Labor Relations Specialist is responsible for the negotiation and administration of the largest Collective Bargaining Agreement in the Company. This individual will own the union relationship, have responsibility for all disciplinary decisions involving time off, provide response to all NLRB charges, prepare and present arbitrations, and have final and binding authority on any agreements with the union. Other duties include developing and delivering Labor training, business partnership with Operations, process improvement, and
This individual will be tasked with maintaining a relationship with the union that is effective and efficient for the business.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with Local and International union leadership via strong communication processes and initiatives
- Responsible for working with management team to help them achieve business goals
- Oversight and accountability for the management of grievances, arbitration cases and NLRB charges that are filed by unions. Decision making authority regarding negotiation and
possible settlement of the most important cases.
- Responsible for implementing the immediate and long-range strategic HR and Labor Relations planning in the warehouse/food service vertical
- Represent the company on joint grievance committees and Taft-Hartley benefit plans
- Develop and implement workable HR and Labor strategies for new business opportunities
- Ability to respond, evaluate and resolve emerging issues promptly, appropriately and consistently without compromising larger labor strategy by using contract language,
grievance/ULP settlements, and or analogous situations to create leverage and influence outcomes.
- Relating Labor laws and precedents in the resolution of operational issues, negotiating cost effective and competitive bargaining agreements by using past resolution strategies,
creating new strategies, principles of financial analysis, CAP skills, and BPMS statistical techniques.
- Creating the union strategy for the location, how to successfully respond to grievances and arbitrations, and how to administer the union contract to reach the goals of the business.
- Formulation or interpretations of labor policy
- Making recommendations or giving expert advice to management
- Impact of the decisions on financial or operational performance
- Authority to analyze/recommend changes to policy, practices, or business objectives
- Handling/arbitrating complaints to resolution
- Authority to hire or fire employees or alter their terms and conditions of employment
- Authority to direct the work of other employees
- Other projectes as assigned by the Director, Labor Relations
Education and Experience Requirements:
- BS Degree Required
- 5-7 years of Operations Management experience or Labor Relations experience - Required
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Proficient knowledge of Labor Laws
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of the Logistics business
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an equal opportunity employer.
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.