Conducts breastfeeding assessments either in person or over the phone; counsels and provides clients with solutions to problems such as insufficient weight gain, cleft palate and prematurity in infants and mastitis in nursing mothers; provides clients of the Women, Infants, and Children program (WIC) with up-to-date information regarding breastfeeding; and performs related duties as required.
1. Displays effective communication and counseling skills in both English and Spanish.
2. Provides individualized breastfeeding care with an emphasis on the mother's ability to make informed decisions.
3. Possesses ability to use adult education principles to provide instruction to the mother that will meet her needs.
4. Ability to select appropriate written information and other teaching aides when working with mothers.
5. Possesses the ability to accurately provide history and assessment documentation.
6. Identifies and communicates correct latch-on (attachment) to nursing mothers.
7. Possesses ability to identify breast abnormalities.
8. Demonstrates support for continuation of breastfeeding when mother is separated from her baby.
9. Shows a broad knowledge on breast feeding related equipment and demonstrates appropriate use and understanding of potential disadvantages and/or risk.
• High School Diploma /GED preferred
• BCLS required
• International Board Certified Lactation Consultant certification (IBCLC) required
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom