Lactation Consultant PRN (Registered Nurse)
Company: Hospital Corporation of America
Location: Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Posted: November 07, 2017
Reference ID: 01307-7472
PRN as needed
HCA - Fort Walton Beach Medical Center seeks to hire a Lactation Consultant who will embrace our mission where we are committed to the care an improvement of human life. In recognition of this commitment, we strive to deliver high quality, cost effective healthcare in the communities we serve.
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is a 257-bed hospital located in Fort Walton Beach in the panhandle of Northwest Florida. With a medical staff of over 200 physicians, it is the only acute care hospital in the Tri-County area that offers open heart surgery, an Advanced Primary Stroke Center accredited by the Joint Commission, Chest Pain Center and a Cancer Care Center that is affiliated with UAB and accredited by the Commission on Cancer.
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center also has a psychiatric treatment center, and advanced care for critically ill patients, including cardiovascular and neonatal intensive care units. In addition to these disease specific services, the medical center has emergency services, including a main ER, Pediatric ER and Express Care.
The Lactation Consultant provides quality breastfeeding support to mothers and babies. Teach prenatal and postpartum classes promoting the benefits of breastfeeding and conduct support groups for new mothers. Conduct bedside lactation rounds and assist in identifying and meeting needs of breastfeeding women. Consult with mothers having breastfeeding problems and provide ongoing counseling for women who need individualized instruction. Plan, teach and conduct in-service education for nursing staff.
1. Demonstrates knowledge and application of lactation management.
2. Plans and implements breastfeeding and childbirth education and support for patients and staff.
3. Evaluates and documents patient response; monitors and recognizes changes in physiological and psychosocial status in relation to breastfeeding and takes appropriate action based on assessment of the patient.
4. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
• A minimum of 45 clock hours of education specific to breastfeeding within the last three years.
• Associate Degree, Diploma in Nursing, or BSN required
• Certified Lactation Consultant
• State of Florida RN License required
• BLS - AHA Healthcare Provider required upon hire
• NRP required within 6 months of hire
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
• Healthcare background required
• Practice as a breastfeeding consultant required