Del Sol Medical Center is a Level II Trauma, 347 bed acute care TJC accredited hospital. Within our hospital campus, we also house an Inpatient, CARF accredited Rehabilitation Hospital. We are located on the Eastside of El Paso, Texas right off of Interstate 10. We provide exceptional patient care services to the El Paso and Fort Bliss communities, as well as Southern New Mexico and West Texas Regions.
Postpartum (Ob/Gyn) is a 21 bed mother baby unit. We also take Ante Partum's and Gyn patients. Our admissions are direct admissions from Doctor's offices, from Emergency room, main OR and L&D. We have approximately 250 deliveries a month, over 3,000 a year.
The Lactation Educator facilitates current, consistent and precise instruction for all lactating mothers in the Maternal Child areas which include: Labor and Delivery, Post Partum, Transition and special Care Nurseries. The educator functions in coordination with the hospital policies and procedures to constantly provide improvement in the area of lactation coordination using the cost/quality models. Functions include managing the Maternal Child Area's Breastfeeding program, utilizing support education and intervention in the inpatient setting as w3ell as throughout the continuum of care.
This process begins with maternal education in prenatal classes and continues with post discharge follow up by the educator. In addition the educator is available and responsible for phone counsel, product sales control and rental with facilitation of breastfeeding education to the mother. The educator provides consistency utilizing educational opportunities for all healthcare staff members, while promoting excellence in patient/maternal care. The Lactation Educator recognizes and seizes all opportunities for outreach community services. He/she facilitates education within all healthcare disciplines to promote optimal lactation care outcomes and community services.
1. Consult with medical staff and seek appropriate medical management as needed.
2. Educates staff through inservicing and evaluating of breastfeeding techniques. Provides education to mother during prenatal classes and continuing through discharge planning follow up.
3. Familiar with all types of breast-feeding equipment through product evaluation and usage. Able to determine appropriate usage of equipment. Right product for the right patient at the right time.
4. Available to provide outreach teaching to physician's offices skill fairs and community programs.
5. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
• Associate, diploma or BSN RN.
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: (list required and preferred separately)
• The Educator shall maintain current Texas Nursing Licensure.
• Certified Breastfeeding Educator certification required. IBLEC Lactation Consultant certification within one year of employment or transfer to the unit.
• BCLS and NRP certification required.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
• The Lactation Educator demonstrates a broad knowledge of all aspects of breastfeeding including the psychosocial.
• He/she will have experience in maternal/child nursing, early childhood development, prenatal education, breastfeeding support, and nutrition.
• This individual should have experience teaching staff through educational inservices or seminars. Previous teaching experience preferred. The educator must also possess a strong foundation in relation to nutritional support of the preterm infant.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
Budgets: utilizes hospital and community resources to maximize the quality/cost model.
Assets Controlled: monitors equipment appropriately while maintaining and assuring proper up keep. Interacts with vendors to provide quality management of supplies. Responsible for reporting needs for staff inservice schedule to the appropriate coordinator.
Career Path: to continue education and skill development with constant improvement in both through all avenues of continuing education.
Degree of Supervision: minimal supervision required.
Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom