Blizzard Entertainment is currently seeking an experienced 3D generalist to join our cinematics layout department as a layout artist (temp). The layout department is the "hub" of cinematics, facilitating the flow of assets from modeling, surfacing and rigging, as well as assembling and helping to compose shots from previz, working through animation, simulation and FX, all the way to lighting and compositing. The temp layout artist will work with previz, modeling, and rigging to translate rough scenes into production-ready shots, support animation and camera with environments, continuity, and troubleshooting, and coordinate with modeling, animation and FX with shot by shot set dressing and crowd population. Broad technical and artistic understanding of 3D pipelines, shot composition, and film language are all important.Responsibilities
- Using Maya, assisted by internal tools and python scripts, translate previz scenes into scenes ready for animation.
- Support animation at various stages, managing layouts, caching and assembling characters with look variants, and rendering for review.
- Add or adjust shot set dressing, crowd cycles, static character poses, and continuity changes.
- Fill in any additional gaps, and catch and solve technical and artistic problems revealed through assembly that are not handled by other departments or through typical pipeline procedures.
- Organize and manage assets, and work closely with programmers to develop, improve, or fix tools that not only serve the layout department, but the cinematics department as a whole.
- Work with artists, programmers, leads, supervisors, directors, and production staff on multiple projects simultaneously, balancing the needs of each and ensuring communication between them.
- A minimum of 3 years' experience in production or feature film in a 3D generalist role, such as layout or previz.
- Depth of knowledge in 3D pipelines, both technically and artistically.
- Strong understanding of the principles of storytelling, film, and composition.
- Basic skills in modeling, rigging, animation and cameras.
- Some experience with lighting, rendering and compositing.
- Data administration skills and interests (e.g. asset management, scene building, tools, etc.)
- Familiar with scripting, especially within a 3D environment.
- Strong, proactive communicator and problem-solver able to learn and work independently and creatively with diverse personalities under resource and time-limited conditions.
Required Application Materials
- Extensive experience with Maya
- Proficiency in python scripting
- Knowledge of RenderMan and/or Redshift renderers
- Some experience with 3dsmax and Nuke
- Expert organization and communications skills, both written and oral
- A thirst for learning and a knack for efficiency
- A passion for Blizzard games, stories, characters and worlds
- Cover Letter
- Online Demo Reel
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.