Monsanto is currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join the Global Breeding Technology Solutions team in the role of CornLDB Pipeline Manager. The Global Breeding Technology Solutions team supports the testing and advancement of the breeding germplasm and traits within the Global Breeding division. The focus for the LDB Pipeline Manager role will be oversight, planning and hands on management of seed production and testing to meet pipeline advancement of the RM110 pipeline. This will include strategic planning, excellent communication, managing and tracking a variety of data systems, understanding of breeding methodology to meet planting deadlines, issue management, product compliance and data tracking, among others.
We seek a candidate whose knowledge of breeding requirements and practices is complemented by superb organizational skills, a keen eye for detail and the ability to move the process forward, while ensuring deadlines and standards are met. The candidate will be expected to drive process improvement through the development and implementation of new and innovative technology, protocols, and processes.
Responsibilities will include alignment with the crop cycle, forecasting, plot allocation, seed inventory advancement, building and managing nursery and yield sets. This individual will contribute to projects with data analytics scientists, molecular and genomics teams, plant health researchers, field testing teams, and other enabling teams. This role is focused on corn; however, the individual will have the opportunity to learn from, participate in, and contribute to research and development across the breeding organization. Position will be responsible for ensuring that material is increased and tested according the crop cycle and interaction with a variety of stakeholders. Knowledge of corn germplasm testing. Valuable skills in this role include project management and organization, negotiation and communication, ability to work effectively in a matrix organization and the ability to learn from the experience of others, both inside and outside the organization.
The ideal candidate will have a willingness to embrace the changes a research environment needs to be innovative yet focused enough to keep crop cycles on track. Need attention to data connectivity and desire to automate processes that need manual touches removed.
The Pipeline Manager will work closely with Pipeline Lead to ensure pipeline strategy is developed in anticipation of any special needs of the targeted testing plan. The role will collaborate with the Pipeline Systems teams to oversee field activities and collaborate with the project teams to develop robust strategy, milestones and deliverables for the development of new tools and enable robust quality testing of pipeline material.
The Pipeline Manager will work closely with the Pipeline Lead, molecular lab, GSP, TDP, NAFTO and IT to manage and align the RM110 pipeline, communicate to key stakeholders and develop innovative process/IT solutions to complex testing framework. Some travel will be required.
The position is part of a fast-paced, timeline-driven, project-managed, team oriented environment that requires collaboration on group based projects. The role will be in St. Louis, MO and reports to the Corn LDB Pipeline Planning Lead.
- Coordinate pipeline operations and logistics to meet timelines in the crop cycle
- DH/GWS communications and alignments
- GBS project creation
- Support phase advancements and ensure decisions transferred to downstream applications, including forecasting, allocation and set creation
- Contribute to projects for optimizing logistics and operations
- Provide logistical support for pipeline specific projects
- Ensure data availability to support advancements (Disease, COGs, etc.)
- Work with IT and breeders to develop a robust IT tools to streamline pipeline activities
- Establish and build positive relationships and points of contact for the RM110 pipeline
- Support Pipeline Enablement in the creation and management of data systems to enhance pipeline testing
- Follow appropriate procedures and maintain good testing practices
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in plant breeding or related field biology or related sciences
- Minimum of 2 years dealing with plant breeding or seed production
- Familiarity with breeding and research methodologies
- Working knowledge of statistics
- Documented individual leadership skills including excellent organizational and record keeping skills
- Experience working with database applications, spreadsheet, and visualization software
- Ability to identify, respond and independently work through varying requirements and /or demands
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (both written and oral)
- Attention to detail
- Strong results orientation
- A history of consistently meeting milestones and commitments
- Demonstrated ability to see differing perspectives and work cross-functionally
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and writing skills.
- Requires seasoned and sound judgment, productive collaboration across multiple functions and success in developing and implementing an effective and efficient testing strategy.
- Batchelors or Master's Degree in a sciences field
- Experience in plant breeding; working knowledge of seed production or research nursery
- Knowledge of crop production, farming practices, and farm equipment operation and repair
- Working knowledge in molecular marker techniques, and analyses
- Strong background and experience in Microsoft Excel, Spotfire and other electronic systems
- Understanding and implementation of operational research models to make complex logistics easy.
- Expert in business process model.
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills to deal effectively and tactfully with people at all levels of management, with the ability to secure action from staff and management in a matrix organization.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, think through and plan long term processes that integrate future growth/changes
- Knowledge and experience related to establishing and leveraging liaison relationships cross functionally.
- Able to analyze complex, multidisciplinary challenges involving corn testing
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.