Lead Data Scientist, Microsoft Data and AI
Never before have information, analytics, and artificial intelligence been so important to business success. That momentum is matched with Microsoft’s industry leadership and investment in empowering business transformation. For Microsoft, the Services organization leads delivery of leading edge solutions in Data and AI and this role, Lead Data Scientist, is a leadership role supporting key projects and customers on their transformation strategy.
In a nutshell, this job is part of a small world-wide team of experienced Data Scientists chartered to lead the analytic journey for complex customer programs, deliver using the latest technology, and create an effective and collaborative community of Data Scientists in Microsoft. As AI transforms business and customers embed more and more analytics into workflow, this role is far more ‘innovate and incubate’ on behalf of customer’s interests’ than steady state. It requires agility, scientific thinking, and a wealth of curiosity. This is truly a chance to shape an industry.
Expectations and success:
The term ‘lead’ applies to four basic elements of the role. These are relentless customer-driven focus on business outcomes, collaboration, rock solid solutions that scale, and driving the success of other Data Scientists. You will be measured on outcomes, not hours, in those four areas.
We win and deliver projects and programs that are part of business transformation – be it effective application of Deep Learning in novel scenarios, advice on how the customer should establish and organize their Data Science teams, or charting their analytic roadmap; all of which drives revenue. These are significant projects with customers that consistently push the edge of scalability, architecture, delivery pace, and business value.
We collaborate within the team of information architects, business architects and data scientists. We collaborate across Microsoft with delivery consultants, sales teams, product teams, and Microsoft research. What you share, how you leverage the work of others, and how you shape the careers and skills of others are all measurements of collaboration.
It’s is expected that part of delivery is distillation of emerging patterns that can then be scaled worldwide. It is also expected you will be the eyes and ears for teams, such as the product teams and executives, that rely on candid feedback regarding new scenarios.
The job assumes a foundation of core data science skills enriched with curiosity, delivery experience in commercial environments, great customer and communication skills, and the experience to lead and mentor less experienced consultants.
• Deep machine learning background
• Experience with leading services delivery work streams in projects, including the awareness of operationalizing a solution in production
• Proven experience implementing and deploying advanced analytics solutions for large commercial customers in complex heterogeneous environments
• Strong demonstrated consulting skills
• Demonstrated team lead or management experience
• Experience leading presales conversations, presentations, and customer workshops
• 5+ years’ experience with at least one of the ML related technologies (Azure ML, MLlib, H20, Scikit-learn, Various R Packages).
• 5+ years’ hands on experience with either R or Python for both data prep and analysis.
The Lead Data Scientist should have the following:
• Demonstrated leadership in DS overall workflow and methodology supporting the need to move systems into production and support.
• Demonstrated leadership in mentoring and training other Data Scientists.
• Demonstrated client facing experience.
• Master’s degree or above in ML, Statistics, or a related quantitative application. A Ph.D. is strongly preferred. We find people with applied experience in a field with very large and complex data sets such as Biology, Physics, or Social Sciences do well.
• Working knowledge of emerging domains such as deep learning including frameworks such as CNTK, Tensorflow, Keras, Gluon, MXNet etc… and distributed analytics on edge in IoT context.
• Experience with Visualization tools (SAP, QlikView, PowerBI, etc.)
Additionally, experience in any of the following will be considered favorably:
• Industry Experience
• Familiarity with AWS or the Microsoft Azure platforms is a plus
• Familiar with map reduce framework, and parallel/distributed processing such as Hadoop/Spark/Dryad/Scope
• Analytical tools, languages, or libraries: SAS, SPSS, Apache Mahout
• Other Languages: Java, F#, C#, C++
Travel up to 50% is an expectation of this position as the needs of our customers and business demand. Please note that we are looking for candidates in the United States, location non-specific.
Microsoft Services is dedicated to delivering on Microsoft’s mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As one of the largest divisions inside Microsoft - with over 21,500 employees worldwide - this diverse team includes architects, consultants, support professionals, sales, and business leaders who serve customers in 191 countries and 46 languages.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.