Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
When you drive for Waste Management, you join a team of the best drivers in the nation - professional, well trained, and skilled. Our drivers work hard and drive safe. They know they are valued front-line team members who are the key in making Waste Management number one in the industry. They are rewarded with competitive pay, great benefits, opportunity for growth, and they are home at night and on the weekends. Job Summary
Lead Drivers substitute for the drivers of open routes, supporting drivers to complete routes, and provides other operational support as directed by the Route Manager, which will include training new drivers, retraining, and follow up training of current drivers. Mentors new drivers, participates in routing projects and other developmental programs. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following tasks.
- Provides On-the-Job training of new drivers and retrains drivers who have been re-assigned to new routes, line of business or drivers who have driving performance issues.
- Observes and coaches new drivers to ensure proper and consistent safety and performance duties are achieved.
- Operates vehicle in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules, OSHA (Occupational and Safety Health Act) and DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements as well as all local, state and federal laws.
- Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle and documents checks utilizing the standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report). .
- Immediately reports all unsafe situations or service related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings as required by Waste Management or directed by the Route Manager.
- Works closely with Route Manager to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
- Notifies Route Manager of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
- Notifies Route Manager or Dispatch of service interruptions, including blocked containers, closed lots, streets, alleyways or potential safety hazards.
- Communicates customer requests to Dispatch or Route Manager.
- Identifies and reports all containers in need of repair or replacement.
- Follows route assignments as directed and completes end of day documentation and check out process.
- Maintains training documentation and records of all driver's training.
- Mentors new drivers to help in the acclamation to District and the Driver role.
- Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch and assisting other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited).
- Experience: 5 years of relevant work experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL or equivalent military driving within the last 7 years
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Hold a current Class A or B Commercial Driver's License with an air-brake endorsement.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
V. Work Environment
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Successfully complete pre-employment DOT drug screen, physical, and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review.
- Knowledge of company safe driving practices.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: landfill/outdoor Benefits
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on Pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply."
Waste Management, Inc. is North America's leading provider of integrated environmental solutions.