GE Energy Connections
Energy Connections Grid Solutions
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Energy Connections designs and deploys industry-leading technologies that turn the world on. We transport, convert, automate and optimize energy to ensure we provide safe, efficient and reliable electrical power. Uniting all the resources and scale of the world's first digital industrial company, we connect brilliant machines, grids, and systems to power utility, oil & gas, marine, mining and renewables customers, that keep our world running.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Lead Electrical Substation Protection and Control Engineer
Plant Systems Engineering
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
Oakbrook Terrace, St. Louis, Concord
The Lead Electrical Substation Protection and Control Engineer demonstrates leadership in communicating business goals/programs/processes for an area or business segment, has the experience or expertise to solve problems, and is able to develop and execute objectives for self and others. This role has the ability to effect short-term and some long-term business goals. They are responsible for leading and coordinating all technical aspects of HV / EHV substation protection and control projects.
As the lead Electrical Substation Protection and Control Engineer, you will:
* Ultimately be responsible for design of protection schemes for industrial and utility substation applications including one-lines, three-lines, AC/DC schematics, and relay settings
* Lead a design team to develop panel and interconnect wiring as well as panel layouts and elevations
* Provide performance based and economic evaluations, selection, application, settings, operational analysis, and maintenance practices of protection schemes and devices. Evaluate the interoperability, control features, and communication/protocol aspects of protective relays
* Coordinate with and provide technical assistance to SCADA engineers, substation physical engineers, and control design staff in order to fully develop system integration of protection, control, and monitoring systems. Work with team to meet project specifications, cost control, and schedule objectives.
* Interface with internal and external team members such as Principal engineers, Project Engineers, Electrical Designers, Physical Designers, Draftsmen, Project managers, and support organizations
* Perform power system load flow studies, fault studies, relay setting coordination, and transient studies
* Train end-users on the theory, operational use, and maintenance of integrated protection and control systems
* Lead or support factory acceptance testing and site testing and commissioning
* Develop outage, cut-over, and testing procedures
* Define processes, procedures, perform RCA's (Root Cause Analysis), perform corrective actions, and validate process control. Support quality initiatives including aspects of ISO9002
* Work on development of proposals including: writing and/or reviewing technical specifications, estimating design man-hours and materials, supporting sourcing for vendor quotations, directing designers and draftsmen on drawing requirements, and the development of clarifications and exceptions as well as technical responses
* Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
* Minimum of three years experience in system protection schemes, relay selection, settings development, operational analysis, communication systems and maintenance practices for transmission, distribution, and generation protection applications
* Minimum of three years experience in protective relaying coordination and practicesELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
* Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% including international, required for meetings and on-site commissioning tests for customer installations; must comply with all relevant company travel and tax policies
* Please note preferred GE office location Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, other GE office locations may be considered
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
PLEASE NOTE: Oakbrook Terrace, IL is the preferred location, however other U.S. locations may be considered.
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.