At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers' lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company's mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable. Job Location
United States : North Carolina : Charlotte Alternate Job Location
Not Applicable : Not Applicable Summary of Responsibilities
This Charlotte, NC based position will be responsible for government relations activities in several states, as well as shared coverage of key federal issues. The incumbent will leverage expertise and relationships representing the company's interests before federal and state governments, including state regulatory, legislative and executive officials and industry stakeholders to achieve Brighthouse Financial's goals. Principal Responsibilities
Supervisory ResponsibilitiesTravelRequired Qualifications
- Engage in lobbying activities on key federal issues and in states of responsibility on issues pending before state insurance departments, legislatures, executive officials, and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
- Identify and advance product specific as well as companywide legislative and regulatory priorities in coordination with business partners and senior company executives.
- Develop and execute strategy to address those objectives, including facilitating regulatory approvals and coordinating cross-jurisdictional advocacy on the key issues.
- Cultivate and maintain high-level relationships with state and federal government officials, industry leaders, trade associations and other opinion leaders in furtherance of company goals.
- Capitalize on internal company expertise as well as external resources (trades, coalitions, retained counsel) to lead advocacy on significant issues for Brighthouse Financial.
- 6+ years of government service (state or federal).
- Knowledge of the legislative/regulatory process required.
- Strong analytical ability and oral and written communications skills
- Ability to effectively interact with internal clients, including business leaders and senior management.
- A team attitude, ability to work collaboratively across functions, and enthusiastic disposition required.
- In order to post for this position, you need the proper work authorization to work in the country where the position is located and not require relocation assistance.
- Lobbying experience strongly preferred.
- Life insurance/financial services experience a plus.
- J.D. a plus.
- Undergraduate degree required.
Brighthouse Financial Department
Global Government Relations Job Category
Legal Affairs Number of Openings
A little about us:
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.