Provide strategic HR Business support to US Franchise Head(s) and their leadership team(s). Partners with business leaders in developing and executing the people components of the business unit strategy. Position reports to Head of HR for US Commercial. This is an individual contributor role; provides guidance and direction to less senior members of the team including HR managers, contractors and interns. Incumbent works and partners with COEs and other service delivery teams to meet goals, objectives, and deliverables. Responsibilities
% of Time
Job Function and Description
25% Strategic Workforce Planning
Create a talent roadmap which enables the organization to achieve its strategy.
• Support leaders in creating the business strategy and the identification of long term organizational and people capabilities required to execute it
• Translate workforce needs into short-term hiring and development plans; work within HR and the business to ensure execution against the plans and achievement of desired outcomes
• Plan for potential workforce scenarios based on the businesses long range plans; conduct an assessment of workforce gaps, and identify opportunities to proactively build the talent pipeline
• Collaborate with other HRBPs to identify where there are similar or adjacent workforce needs across other functions and divisions where development and/or sourcing can be leveraged
• Participate in hiring process for key roles (initial role design and profile, partnership with Talent Strategy, Talent Acquisition and Total Rewards, influencing diverse candidate slates, serving on interview panel, etc.)
25% Leadership & Management Development
Support leaders in building a strong leadership pipeline across Shire
• Influence and support the business to ensure that proactive leadership development is viewed as a core part of the business processes
• Facilitate processes to identify top talent and ensure that investments that leaders make are in the right people
• Serve as a partner to Senior Leaders on the creation of development plans for key talent and determine what development solutions may be appropriate
• Serve as a champion for new leadership development solutions; articulate relevance to business strategy and objectives
• Collaborate with leaders, other HRBPs, and TM COE to identify development opportunities for key talent across the organization
• Provide feedback to leaders to help them improve their leadership
• Provide feedback on the design and implementation of leadership/management development solutions
15% Change Management
Enable leaders to effectively manage change.
• Anticipate impact on people and organization as a result of potential changes
• Consult with leaders on how to minimize disruption resulting from change
• Advise leaders on leading their teams through organizational change
• Maintain an awareness of changes in client business areas internally (within organization) and externally (within industry/discipline)
20% Organizational Effectiveness & Culture
Getting the best performance out of the organization
• Diagnose opportunities to improve the performance of the organization utilizing tools to measure organization effectiveness (e.g. 360 feedback, surveys, employee metrics) as well as informal awareness of pulse of the organization
• Work with the business and within HR to design and implement formal or informal initiatives to improve the performance of the organization
• Ensure actions taken in the organization are aligned to the desired culture
• Partner with leaders in creating a culture and work environment that encourages employee engagement and inspires performance excellence
• Utilize data and predictive analytics to identify organizational effectiveness opportunities and to measure the impact of efforts
• Leads where appropriate business expansions including M&A integrations
15% Performance & Rewards
Ensure robust practices that link performance and reward are embedded.
• Provide business perspective on the COE's design of new reward / recognition programs and ensures alignment with business strategy
• Recommend tools, programs and approaches to attract, retain and recognize talent and improve performance
• Educate, influence, and advocate reward and recognition philosophy and practice within the business to ensure fairness and consistency and inspire stronger employee and organizational performance
• Work with leaders to ensure successful execution of the year-end compensation process including employee calibration
• Advise leaders in dealing with senior level employee relations issues. Partner with ER and the legal team to understand trends in employee performance issues and advise on appropriate remediation Education and Experience Requirements
Other Job Requirements
- BA/BS required. MBA or advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ relevant experience ideally having worked in a US sales and marketing role.
- Global experience a plus
- Experience as a HRBP and within a specialist function (ie: TA, TR, T&OD)
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry required
- Significant experience working in complex global matrix organizations
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal, influence and negotiating skills
- Personal attributes align with Shire's leadership behaviors: positive, accountable, results oriented, excellent manager of self and others
Travel approximately 20% domestically.
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.