At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Lead Industrial Designer for our Safety and Graphics Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
The person hired for the position of Lead Industrial Designer will work with, and at times, lead multiple functions of the Safety and Graphics Business Group. They will consistently identify, initiate, plan, and recommend, innovative design solutions that meet business and technical goals. The Lead Industrial Designer will be able to consistently take the lead in advancing and utilizing knowledge of design, product(s), and market information. They will apply the above information along with creative and design thinking skills to provide design leadership and support for the business.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow's solutions to today's problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We're looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Lead Industrial Designer primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identifies, partners, and creatively manages internal and external design programs and resources.
- Independently and proactively leads product design initiatives.
- Assumes a design leadership role of projects with strategic scope and complexity and takes responsibility for the overall development and delivery of design.
- Initiates and establishes good working relationships with multiple functions of the business to support and facilitate the design completion of programs.
- Partners and leads business and lab partners through the design process and final execution.
- Adapts and tailors the design process / approaches to the specific project or business needs.
- Delivers design content as an individual contributor in support of project goals.
- Independently manages multiple projects.
- Strong observational skills, end user empathy, and the ability to identify insights from various forms of qualitative research.
- Combines creative thinking and industrial design skills with industry trends to provide unique brand and product experiences.
- Perform all duties in support of 3M Safety and Graphics Business Design expectations and responsibilities as well as any agreed upon business unit expectations.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in Industrial Design or Product Design
- Minimum of seven (7) combined years of working experience in industrial design, product design, and/or product development
- Industrial and consumer design experience
- Excellent sketching and 2D/3D design software skills
- Form development and design sensitivity
- Basic manufacturing knowledge
- Experience in SolidWorks and/or Rhino and Adobe Creative Suite a strong plus
- Strong written, verbal and visual communication skills
- Strong presentation skills leveraging a variety of mediums and media a strong plus
- Demonstrated capabilities of estimating time schedules and working towards aggressive deadlines
- Proven capacity to deliver innovative and high-quality design solutions across multiple and varied design challenges
- Ability to bounce between tactical and strategic programs
- Experience designing hard goods and soft goods is a plus
- Brand design, packaging design and/or color, material, finish experience is also a plus
: Maplewood, MNTravel
: Up to 10%Relocation:
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.