At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description: Introduction
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Lead Interaction Designer
for our Safety and Graphics Business Group
to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
The person hired for the position of Lead Interaction Designer
will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs and workflows in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Safety and Graphics Business Group. Responsible for overall leadership and coaching of internal and external clients through design direction, improvement initiatives, design-research, and operating plans for design creation. Independently manages and leads multiple major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects within the assigned business or function. Manages external design agency resources, build relationships, resolves issues, etc.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow's solutions to today's problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We're looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.Major Duties & ResponsibilitiesLead Interaction Designer
primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coaches business partners on strategic and complex projects, through the design process from initial strategy towards final implementation.
- Leads and facilitates design thinking workshop with stakeholders, builds interactive prototypes, and conducts concept testing/usability testing and produces reports.
- Accountable for defining experience design definition and key user interface behaviors through the use of experience models, personas, storyboards, site maps, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups, simulations and etc.
- Develops visual design languages and systems including layouts, grids, photography, iconography, UI elements and others.
- Proactively and creatively leads product or service (re)design initiatives.
- Identifies, partners, and creatively manages external design resources.
- Translates interaction wireframes into visual designs that are visually engaging, simple and intuitive.
- Conveys visual design ideas in tangible forms like concepts, annotated comps and cut assets.
- Independently leads major new projects in parallel-organizes and prioritizes work accordingly.
- Creates world-class user interfaces and visual designs from concept to execution for desktop solutions, web-based products and mobile applications.
- Assumes leadership role for building UX pattern library, style guide, and visual design guidelines.
- Develops and maintains detailed user interface specifications.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas, and finding beautiful and powerful ways to communicate them.
- Develops and/or uses appropriate UX design and evaluation processes, judgement models, and/or efficiency and cost measurements to ensure the any design solution meets or exceeds defined needs and strategies.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), interaction design, design, graphic design, industrial design, design research or psychology
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of working experience in user experience design and/or interaction design with experiences in designing solutions for desktop, web and mobile applications on a variety of platforms
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.Location
- M.S. in design strategy, interaction design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- 7-10 years of experience as an interaction designer
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android
- Experience with design research techniques to understand the customer (e.g., interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting)
- Experience in Adobe Experience Design and/or Sketch
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs
: Maplewood, MNTravel:
Up to 20%Relocation:
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.