Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a lead database engineer to join our Blizzard operations network services (BONS) team in Irvine, California. This position will collaborate with developers in the design and operations of the public-facing and internal MySQL database applications that exist at Blizzard.Responsibilities
- Lead and mentor a small team of MySQL database administrators while also contributing in a hands-on technical fashion.
- Act as the principal subject matter expert on MySQL for project managers and programming teams.
- Configure and administer MySQL database deployments.
- Collaborate with development and other IT teams on the design and implementation of database services.
- Manage performance of MySQL environments and optimize SQL queries.
- Create policies and strategies for backup/recovery, upgrades, and migrations.
- Work with team on ensuring standard procedures are well-documented and automated when possible.
- Perform database load testing and benchmarking.
- Implement continual service improvement through proactive projects with the team.
- Evaluate new releases and features of MySQL.
- A minimum of 7 years' experience administering MySQL database environments
- Very strong foundation with major MySQL storage engines (e.g. MyISAM, InnoDB, and NDB)
- Expert with SQL
- Strong understanding of database concepts such as normalization, indexing, and sharding
- Proficient with Linux and scripting
- Background in 24 / 7 and large-scale operational environments
- Strong working knowledge of all aspects of MySQL replication
- Excellent communicator
Required Application Materials
- Experience as a technical leader
- Familiar with automation tools such as Ansible
- Knowledge / experience with newer industry trends (NewSQL, NoSQL, Big Data)
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.