In close coordination with Legal Counsel, the Lead Paralegal applies advanced knowledge of highly complex legal concepts to support the legal department and businesses on a variety of legal, regulatory and compliance matters. Job Responsibilities
- Works independently on a variety of legal matters, including negotiation with outside/opposing counsel and resolution of legal issues.
- Effectively and regularly communicates with legal counsel, staff and business to understand goals and achieve objectives.
- Works in coordination with Legal Counsel on complex legal issues and administers law department activities.
- Researches highly complex legal issues and relevant topics relating to Walgreens business operations. Investigates facts and applicable law and searches pertinent sources. Independently develops oral and/or written presentations to communicate findings.
- Represents Company externally to customers, vendors, opposing counsel and government agencies and resolves legal issues using negotiation and legal experience.
- Demonstrates independent judgment and critical thinking to proactively identify issues, appreciate commercial/operational impacts and report on findings to internal and external stakeholders.
- Analyzes contracts, pleadings, statutes, decisions, correspondence and other documentation to independently evaluate legal position and makes recommendations to attorneys based on legal precedence or law.
- Drafts legal documents, communications and reports under minimal attorney supervision.
- Provides guidance by training, coaching or mentoring other paraprofessionals and/or other staff.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
#LI-MM2 Basic Qualifications
- Associate's or Bachelor's Degree and at least 4 years of paralegal experience in a corporate law department or law firm OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 6 years of paralegal experience with a corporate law department or law firm.
- Experience evaluating information to determine compliance with standards, laws, and regulations.
- Experience processing information (such as compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data).
- Experience with project management (for example: planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives).
- Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates.
- Experience using advanced analytical skills to independently review, draft, negotiate and prepare documents.
- Experience using written communication and grammatical skills to draft/compose legal documents, communications and reports.
- Experience utilizing interpersonal and team-building skills to foster collaboration and establish positive relationships.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Undergraduate degree and a Paralegal certificate from an ABA-certified paralegal program.
- Experience using legal research tools; such as LexisNexis or Westlaw.
- Experience in a retail environment and/or healthcare setting
A little about us:
The training you received, the discipline you embraced, and the responsibilities you held in the military will serve you well at Walgreens.