Lead Product Designer
Did you know there are probably more banks than gas stations in your neighborhood? When you hear the term bank, do you think of large, marble facades and tellers behind counters? At Capital One, we know that a bank is more than a building. We're working hard to create the future of how people connect and interact with their money.
As a Lead Product Designer on the Digital team, you will work closely with other designers, strategists, developers, product managers, and business analysts to further our understanding of how people interact with their money – you will identify opportunities for change, ideate on concepts, advocate for the needs of our customers, and lead design from empathy to iteration to deliver human-centered solutions to over 65-million customers.
Product Designers at Capital One have a passion for solving complex problems. They are human-centered in their approach to design and feel comfortable advocating for user needs. They are curious and demonstrate a passion for learning. They are capable of generating ideas and prototyping concepts that are anchored in research insights, subject knowledge, technology requirements, and business goals. They have an exuberant passion for the power of strategic design and an “anything is possible” mindset. They take pride in their work and yet they have a humble approach. They are able to contribute as a designer from end-to-end on projects, which means they are comfortable as researchers, data scientists, strategists, and designers. They employ design thinking methods to uncover insights that help inform design decisions. They are excellent communicators and feel comfortable presenting their design decisions in front of colleagues and stakeholders.
In this role, you will:
-Be asked to join a passionately driven team whose sole focus is to redefine, solve and change what humanity means to banking.
- Help your team deliver world-class products that will redefine our customer’s day-to-day experience and relationship with their bank.
- Research unmet customer needs to solve for existing problems or explore and develop entirely new business opportunities.
- Develop in-market pilots to refine new products and assist in bringing them to existing or standalone Capital One platforms – communicating findings to the broader Bank and Digital organization along the way.
- Collaborate with business analysts, product managers, developers and design teams on research activities, strategy sessions, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts
- Build empathy and be an advocate for our customers through participation in human-centered research and design
- Translate user needs, style guides, and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems
- Leverage analytics tools to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making
- Utilize Lean and Agile methodologies
- Present research findings and design concepts to designers and product partners
- Be a leader and mentor; you’ll challenge, grow and mentor designers and contribute to fostering a collaborative team spirit.
What you bring:
- Experience with user experience design and shipping products
- Working knowledge of human-centered design principles (e.g. Design Thinking)
- Strong portfolio of UX/UI design work that demonstrates experience working on projects from empathy to iteration
- Strong storytelling capabilities; an ability to weave key insights into a compelling narrative
- Experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity to articulate and test user flows, UI design, and/or UI animation using modern tools (e.g., InVision, Flinto, Pixate, UXPin, Keynote, etc).
- Excellent problem-solving and client management skills
- Interest in service design with experience using service design methods
- High School Diploma, GED, equivalent certification, or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience with user experience design
-At least 1 year of experience with team leadership or at least 1 year of experience with team management
- Master’s degree in Design or Master’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction
- 8+ years of experience with user experience design
- 8+ years of experience designing digital products or 8+ years of experience designing omni-channel services
- 5+ years’ experience with standard digital design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq, Axure, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience with information architecture
- 3+ years of experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity
-3+ years of experience with team leadership or 3+ years of experience with team management
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.