The Additive Manufacturing Center of Excellence (AM CoE) of Eaton has an exciting opportunity in Southfield, Michigan for a Quality Engineer who is passionate about Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing) technologies.
Launched in July 2016 within Eaton’s Southfield Innovation Center, the AM CoE has an aggressive plan to commercialize 3D printed products for Aerospace and other applications. Plans are underway to get the facility ready for Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP) of these applications. The Quality Engineer will play an integral role in this scale-up effort and thus, will have the unique opportunity to shape the future of Eaton’s efforts in Additive Manufacturing. The ideal candidate will have experience supporting application and process development in early stages through scale up and commercialization.
The candidate will report directly to the Leader of AM CoE. He/she will have extensive support network from Corporate Research & Technology, Aerospace Additive Manufacturing Application development Integrated Product Teams and other business unit teams active in Additive Manufacturing across Eaton.
- Leads the deployment of Quality Management System in AM CoE and the attainment of certifications (e.g., AS9100, Nadcap) in support of the LRIP initiative
- Develops expertise in NDE technologies in support of the qualification and production of 3D printed parts for Aerospace and other applications.
- Trains teams in both theory and application of quality tools such as statistics, inspection methods, problem solving, process analysis and improvement – as applied to Additive Manufacturing
- Provides quality input for the development, manufacture, procurement, and acceptance of a variety of both plastics and metal AM products produced in AM CoE
- Develops methods and writes detailed instructions for inspection processes
- Performs evaluation tests, capability studies, quality audits, data reviews, and other engineering evaluations utilizing Lean Six Sigma methodologies
- Coordinates the design and calibration of product acceptance equipment and the procurement of testers, gages, and equipment to support product acceptance
- Evaluates opportunities for defect prevention and implements specific and preventive corrective actions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in quality or manufacturing engineering
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with Quality Management Systems (QMS)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with various Six Sigma data analysis tools
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the US on a continuous basis without company sponsorship.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Metallurgical, or Industrial Engineering from an accredited institution
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Prior QMS implementation experience
- Prior experience obtaining AS9100 or ISO9001 certification
- Prior Quality experience in Aerospace or Automotive
- Experience in NDE technologies
- Prior work experience in Additive Manufacturing
- Knowledge of various metrology, measurement, and inspection techniques esp. NDE/inspection techniques suitable for 3D printed parts.
- Knowledge of quality and certification requirements in regulated manufacturing industries such as aerospace and automotive; AS 9100, FAA, ISO/TS16949 & ISO 9001. Prefer prior certification experience.
- Must have excellent communication, planning, negotiation and organizational skills and the ability to independently manage a heavy workload.
- Acutely aware of environmental and physical hazards associated with additive manufacturing technologies. Ensure he/she have appropriate PPE devises accessible and are utilized to safeguard themselves, others, and the environment at all times.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Corporate Sector
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
A little about us:
Eaton is a global technology leader in power management solutions. We make power operate more efficiently, effectively, safely & sustainably.