The Materials group at Eaton’s Corporate Research & Technology (CRT) in Southfield has an exciting opportunity for a materials scientist/metallurgist to be hired at the level of Lead Research Engineer.
The successful candidate will be part of a team working on integrated manufacturing processes that cut across metal materials selection, characterization, process optimization, multiscale modeling (molecular to part level), manufacturing process scale up, process control, and rapid characterization/qualification
- Executes technology strategy and develops constructive solutions aligning to business needs
- Has in depth knowledge of Business Division goals and strategies and drives business objectives /improvements impacting division-wide measures.
- Leads the development of technology roadmaps for specific applications that are linked to and supportive of the overall CRT and business strategies.
- Demonstrates ability to develop novel technology areas and translate into applications. Coordinates from concept to implementation stage, managing deliverables executed by multi-disciplinary teams and serves as an expert resource for other engineers
- Identifies opportunities or connections that enhance business performance.
- Ability to influence and drive people / activities on complex technical issues
- Drives skill development and routinely mentors others in technical specialty.
- Identify open innovation opportunities with universities and external institutes that align with Technology Platform strategy
- Forms a network and promotes technology as a thought leader
- Actively contributes to high quality intellectual property that has business and technology importance
- Key member of Integrated Manufacturing Processing team: developing materials & processing innovation using computational as well as experimental methods
- Develop fatigue, fracture, wear, and other relevant life prediction models for materials. Study fundamental aspects of crack propagation at multiple scales.
- Develop accelerated qualification methods for metals using advanced fatigue and tribology testing methods. Develop new methods as appropriate.
- Develop multi-scale computational models for life prediction with a focus on additively manufacturing materials
- Study process physics of metal additive manufacturing in order to increase productivity and create unique intellectual property
- Work with different BUs and develop new proposals after understanding their requirements
- Master’s degree in Materials or Engineering from an accredited institution or PhD with less than 3 years of experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgy or Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in fatigue and fracture mechanics, materials characterization and application development
- Hands-on experience in characterization of ferrous and nonferrous metals using light microscopy, SEM, EDS, EBSD, and other material evaluation tools.
- Hands on experience in characterizing performance and fatigue properties of ferrous and nonferrous metals
- 3 years of research & technology experience working in global organizations
- Strong academic and career focus on advanced and emerging metal manufacturing methods such as additive manufacturing, thermo-mechanical processing, liquid and vapor phase processes, multi-material and dissimilar material joining, and multi-step chemical conversion processes.
- Good knowledge on Solid mechanics, Fracture mechanics, Fatigue, Microstructural design in metals
- Good understanding of “Integrated Computational Material Engineering – ICME”, including thermodynamic programs such as Thermocalc, phase fields (Moose, PRISMs), etc.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time